4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2007 2:06 PM by Kenda Branch

helical shapes

Kenda Branch
      Is there a way create a helix whose sketchisn't based on a circle? For instance, could I use a sketch of atriangle with round edges and create a helicle shape based on thatgeometry? I'm trying to design a trilobular screw. /group/
        • helical shapes
          Matt Lombard
          Sort of.

Make the regular helix and sweep a straight line along it using a swept surface. The line should be perpendicular to the axis of the helix.

Then make the other shape using an extrude or revolve or what ever is appropriate, again as a surface.

Then use the Intersection Curve function to make a 3D sketch where the 2 surface bodies intersect.
            • helical shapes
              Gerald Davis

matt lombard wrote:

Make the regular helix and sweep a straight line along it using a swept surface. The line should be perpendicular to the axis of the helix.

Then make the other shape using an extrude or revolve or what ever is appropriate, again as a surface.

Then use the Intersection Curve function to make a 3D sketch where the 2 surface bodies intersect.

Matt -
              Having never tried this before, I was delighted to have your answer as a guide - worked splendidly!

However, my triangular thread cut ends up with a strange little twist that isn't the same in all 3 corners. Any suggestions on how to model a more realistic thread cut?
              • helical shapes
                Kenda Branch
                I was able to create the ideal helical shape, but when I triedsweeping
                the threading shape around that helix, the resulting sweep becamemore
                and more distorted throughout its path. Is this a guide linesissue?
                Because I tried creating different guide lines, but they didn'tseem to
                help. And the same distortion occurs if I use a sweeping extrusionor a
                sweeping cut.
              • helical shapes
                Jason Capriotti
                Matt provided an awesome workaround....but if you would like to see it added to the Helix command, submit an enhancement request.

http://www.solidworks.com/page...nhancements/index.html