5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 4:36 PM by Josh Killalea

Stopping the Default Templates From showing up

Josh Killalea

Hi All,

havng a small issue here stopping the default templates showing up. we have our own set of templates that we want to use and control in the vault. i have the file paths set in file locations. i also have the files paths set ing default templates to point at the correct part/assembly/drawing templates. when i do this it all works fine.

however when i close solidworks and reopen it it doesn't save the default template paths. as a result when i try to open a new template it adds the defult templates to the same location as our templates. so it is showing up 2 x part templates 2 x assembly templates and 2 x drawing templates. obviously one our and one default of each.

futher to that i tried making the setting change and then closed solidworks, then when i reopend it i went straight to the system options and the default template settings were set correctly. so i went to open a new part and it worked. so i closed solidworks again and reopend it and it lost the settings again.

further more, i have done these changes on 2 computers and it worked fine. on the other 2 computers it didn't work.

it isn't much more than an annoyance, but there is a risk of someone using the wrong template i guess and it is REALLY annoying that it does it on 2 computers and not the other 2!

any ideas what might be causing this?

each time solidworks has been creating a set of new templates i keep deleting them and retesting, so it isn't the same ones. it keeps recreating the new templates and looing the settings.

i have admin rights to all computers and i tried exiting the program via File>Exit in lieu of the red cross, as per another thread i found on here but it didn't work.....

any help or ideas greatly appreciated!

• Re: Stopping the Default Templates From showing up
          Anna Wood

Do your users have the appropriate rights to the computer to save these settings in the Windows Registry?

These settings are saved in the user registry not the machine registry.  They must be set for each user under their system login.

Cheers,

Anna

Josh Killalea

yes Anna, we all have admin rights to the machines. our drafting office is a bit of a thing in it's own right in the company. we have our own server and computers on our own network with full access and rights to try and eliminate things like this.

you may or may not believe this, but since posting this, after changing the file paths one more time i deleted the standard templates and i have just gone back to working as normal. now it is sticking. for both me and the other guy that was having the issue.

after i posted this i was thinking about exactally what i did yesterday and the only difference was that i made the changes to the first 2 computers and the guys kept working as normal. so i was wondering if maybe Solidworks needed a bit of time to write the files to the registry. like maybe it wasn't an instant thing. and that appears to be it.

the more i have to do with this program the less i want to have to do with it....

Josh Killalea

and now today SW is back to loosing the default templates settings and is now inserting a set of standard templates for us again. just me and the other guy that was having the troouble. go figure....

the only thing i could possibly think of that may cause this is that SW is loading the settings from a file saved out somewhere that has these settings wrong in it. so when i have saved a set of the settings out to load onto the other machines i didn't have these set properly and now SW is referencing that file instead of the correct one. if that is possible....

any ideas on what might be going on would be greatly welcome. for me and the other guy this is not a huge deal. certianly not stopping us from using SW, but if this starts happening to the other guys in the office this could be a major bone of contention.

so over this....

Anna Wood

Hmmm.... Interesting.

Wonder what your VAR maight say about the issue.

Do you guys have Roaming Windows profiles?  Something going on with Windows Active directory or something that is re-writing some registry files.

What about virus protection, maybe that is doing something strange.

I am at a lose as to what might be going on.

Cheers,

Anna

Josh Killalea

thank for the replies Anna. i work as a fly in fly out drafter on a mine site which is why i really am only on here in big blocks and then don't reply for a while. we decided that seen as it wasn't bothering us to much not to worry about it. but on the last day on site it started happening to the others, that it hadn't previously been effecting, as well. and as predicted it is causing trouble. so i might have to bite the bullet and call ur VAR and see if they know anything. not holding my breath though.

thanks again for the replies. i will post back if i get an answer.