4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2014 7:41 PM by Alex Chen

Saving Assembly as Part

Jonas Adler

I am fairly new to SW and I have a question. I am saving an assembly as a part, using the combine feature to make it a single part, and then using this in a new assembly. The problem is that every time I have to change something in the original assembly, I am saving over the part file which breaks all the mates in the final assembly. Is there a better way to do this so that the part file stays linked to the original assembly and overwriting of the part file is unnecessary? Thanks.

Jonas

• Re: Saving Assembly as Part
          Alex Chen

Hi, Jonas:

Why do not you insert your first assembly (called sub-assembly) into your new assembly?  Show us a picture so that we know what you are doing?

Best regards,

Alex

Jonas Adler

Alex,

Thanks for your reply. I think I actually need the first assembly to be a single part in the final assembly. I am going to import this model into Ansys and the first assembly is all one material so it seemed like the easiest thing to do would be to combine as much as possible so that the materials assignment will be simple. Will a sub-assembly show up as a single, continuous body in Ansys? I will try to put together some pictures to illustrate this, but that is the basic idea. I was given a .step file with over 800 parts so I am trying to simplify and comibine as much as possible. Thanks.

Jonas

Anna Wood

File > Save As select sldprt in the file type drop down, be sure to set the appropriate options.

Cheers,

Anna

Alex Chen

Hi, Anna:

I think Jonas already did the way you explained.  If he saves his first assembly as a part (combine or not), this new part is no longer linked to the original assembly.  He used this new part in this new assembly for Ansys.  If he makes changes to his first assembly, the part he saved will not see effect of the changes.  If he saved it (assembly) and overwrote the original part, his new assembly will most likely not like it as ID of faces are changed, thus causing his assembly to fall apart.

Best regards,

Alex