7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 10:44 AM by Jim Wilkinson

SolidWorks Forum Layout?

Chris Sargent

I have been coming to this forum for a while now but I still feel new to this forum.  I try to make the best use of the information available to help me answer questions.  The layout of this forum is confusing.  Forums are usually broken down into subforums or categories and in the subforums there are threads or discussions.  Is there a overview of how this forum is laid out?  Can anyone suggest a better forum on which to ask questions?  Often when I come here I find more questions than I do answers.  Discussions on different topics relating to SW are difficult to browse because none of the discussions are placed in any kind of subforum or category.  Is this forum more of a place to just ask questions and hopefully someone answers?  I am not saying this is a bad forum or trying to be a critic.  I am just trying to learn how to make better use of this forum.

• Re: SolidWorks Forum Layout?
          Glenn Schroeder

Chris,

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.  You say there are no categories or sub-forums, but there are many of those.  This discussion is in the General section, there are sections for Parts, BOM's, API, and many more.  This is pretty much the only Forum I'm familiar with, so could you please explain more about what you mean?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Chris,

On the first page of the forum at https://forum.solidworks.com, make sure you are on the All Content tab, not the "Your View" tab and there are 4 buttons along the top and the first one is "Welcome - Get Started". That (and the other buttons) should give you all sorts of information to help you navigate and use the forums.

One thing to note is that in this forum, what you refer to as "categories" or "subforum" are called "places" so you'll often see that throughout the forum UI.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Steven Smith

The cadtutor forum is one of the best forums around. http://www.cadtutor.net/

I dont particularly like the layout of these SW forums.

It can get confusing when people reply to posts, but then the reply doesn't get put to the end of the discussion.

Also, subscriptions to previsouly commented posts are hard to find unless you keep a log of your emails.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Steven,

With regards to this:

Steven Smith wrote:

It can get confusing when people reply to posts, but then the reply doesn't get put to the end of the discussion.

I believe you can get what you want by going to Your Stuff, Preferences and change the Discussion view style to flat instead of threaded. Then I believe it is all shown sequentially.

The nice thing about the threaded view is that you don't have to rely on someone quoting someone else to understand what they are replying to. Without threading, it is REALLY hard to follow the sub-conversations.

I hope this helps,

Jim