5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 4:25 PM by Tom dunn

Assembly "efficiency"

Jim Mooney

Is it more efficient to copy a part in an assembly or place a new part? I have an assembly that uses about 30 of the same part, but they are "all over the place" and not able to do one linear copy. So is it more efficient to do lots of copies or place and mate the same part? thanks...

• Re: Assembly "efficiency"
          Stephen Bittner

I think the answer will be "less mates = more efficiency".  However, I think it boils down to design intent.  If you use lots of copies, the assembly will not respond to changes like you would expect.  Personally, I'd rather take the performance hit to retain the most intelligence in the model.  Your mileage may vary.  :-)

Robert D.

You could add the part to your design library tab then toolbox and drag and drop to your assembly. I haven't had much luck with the linear pattern in assembly either. they tend to lose mates often. Hope this helps

Glenn Schroeder

Robert Dams wrote:

I haven't had much luck with the linear pattern in assembly either. they tend to lose mates often.

I have components in Linear Patterns become underdefined all the time too (particularly if I mate another part to a component brought in with a Linear Pattern, but that's not the only time it happens).  A Ctrl+Q rebuild will almost always fix it.

Tom dunn

Wait a minute John, are you making brick walls out of bricks made from seeds? I have heard of making houses out of straw, then sticks, and some huffing and puffing, wait that was a different story, never mind, wee wee wee. hee hee

Some warped humor, it's getting late, time to go home.  Tom