15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 11:59 AM by Charles Culp

Print task in EPDM

Jeff Thomas

I can't get the print task to run. We have setup a taskserver on a virtual machine located on the backup server called EPDTASKSERVER. I have setup a onvert task for step, dwg, dxf and pdf which work great. which all execute as the Admin on the taskserver.

There are two transitions in the Engineering Design Control workflow that I want to use to generate prints of all drawings that pass through the transition. I have installed the network printer on the taskhost and configured it for the papersize I want, 11x17. I have the task set to run as Admin like the others as well as for notices to be sent upon failure or completion of the task. When the drawing passes through the transition the print task comes up but does not execute. I have checked the log file on the taskserver and there is no record of the print task. Nor are any notifications being sent.

Does anyone have any ideas, I am stumped?

Thanks

printer.JPGprinter.JPG

• Re: Print task in EPDM
          Jeff Sweeney

Can you run this task locally? Can you run this task with a right mouse click?

Jeff Thomas

When I run it locally I do get a log entry that says my printer is invalid. I aslo recieve the failure notifications. This is the same printer we use for all of our printing. It is connected to the network. I have the task set to only run for drawings but the model is still getting selected as well. This same printer is loaded on the taskserver.

Thanks Jeff

The printer 'TOSHIBA e-STUDIO4520CSeriesPCL6' for the Document  'C:\Seanic Vault\User Folders\J. THOMAS\Print test.SLDPRT' is not a valid printer.

The printer 'TOSHIBA e-STUDIO4520CSeriesPCL6' for the Document  'C:\Seanic Vault\User Folders\J. THOMAS\Print test.SLDDRW' is not a valid printer.

printer.JPG

Jeff Thomas

When I set my machine as the task host and enable the "print drawing" task in windows explorer it prints fine.

With the same settings and the files pass through a transition with the "print drawing" task added in, the drawings  print fine.

However both printed on the wrong size, which I can fix.

Now to try using the taskserver again.

Thanks

Jeff Sweeney

Can other applications (i.e. Notepad) print to that printer from the taskserver?

Jeff Thomas

Yes, I printed a PDF from the taskserver. I tried to run the print task by right clicking on the task, this failed as well. I am begining to think the printer installed wrong. Not sure.

Thanks Jeff

Jeff Thomas

The printer was installed incorrectly on the taskserver. Thanks for the help Jeff.

Jeff Thomas

Jeff, I ran into another issue this morning. When I right click on file and run the print drawings task the does not run due to the login on the taskserver not taking place. If I go to the taskserver and login as admin (print task set to run as admin) the print task will execute. I have verified that the login password is correct. I should not have to stay logged into the taskserver at all times, correct? Or is this the best case scenario?

Thanks Jeff

Jeff Thomas

After talking to my VAR, on a virtual machine a user has to logged onto the machine and into EPDM at all times for the print task to work. I also found out that SolidWorks does not support virtual machines, however my VAR does.

Just thought you should know.

Thanks Jeff

Charley Saint

Jeff,

If you are using a VM for the convert task it probably doesn't have a supported video card, this can cause the converts to be different than the drawings (i.e. missing views, views in the wrong location). You MAY be able to get around this if you turn on Open GL, but we always just recommend running it on a fully supported system.

Jeff Thomas

Charley,

I wanted to add an update to this thread based on a recent issue I uncovered in our print task.

Issue 1

We use a VM on our backup server for our task server. All of a sudden yesterday the print task stopped working. I could not figure it out. If I logged into the task server I could manually print files through the installed printer. Come to find out from a conversation with our VAR, the resources on the task server had been used up and SolidWorks would not open. I had to restart the VM, and then the print task worked. The VM has 4G's of RAM installed and the virtual memory was set to 9.6g's. We are going to increase our memory allocation and setup a routine to restart the task server every Saturday night. The only drawback is I have to login as the Admin first thing Monday morning. I would think this could be automated as well.

Issue 2

We were also getting incomplete drawing packages with the print task. The print task was not printing all the selected drawings. The VAR informed me that the task has a difficult time print large drawing packages, over 20 drawings or so. We were getting 22 drawings out of 75. I am hoping the increase in resources will help with this as well. We may look into transitioning subassemblies 1 at a time if we still have issues not printing all files.

I also set "Auto Select References to Print" as we were getting circular references which would print 2 copies of some drawings and model images. This seemed to fix those issues. 

Jeff

Jeff Thomas

The last statement above is incorrect. We are still getting print outs of what I assume are the bmap images of SOME of the models, not all. Any ideas on why these are printing?

Thanks

Jeff

Charles Culp

Jeff,

I just saw your thread. We run our PDF creation tasks on a virtual computer. When the VM boots it automatically logs in as a special "epdmprintuser" and loads an instance of Windows Explorer set to the root folder in the vault (to log into EPDM). This user is in epdm with full read privileges.

We also occasionally get Task PDF creation errors, and I am looking into that with our VAR as well. We do not print sets of drawings at a time, each task just handles a single drawing. Interesting about Charley's comment, although we have not had any issues with drawing views missing.

As a suggestion, open up SolidWorks on the print server, and go through Tools>Options>System Options, and set all of the system options to the correct print settings. No large assembly mode, always resolve all components (no lightweight), that sort of thing.

Jeff Thomas

Thanks for the information Charles. I did not think about checking the settings on the EPDM solidworks installation. How do you insure that only a single drawing is sent through the print task? Our print task is triggered when the files move to the released state which covers all files moving through the transition.

Thanks Charles

Charles Culp

Jeff,

I just saw your reply. Actually, I'm not sure I know whether we have an automated way. I've never tried sending two drawings through the final release step. Our final step is for one of our document control clerks to submit the file, and they only do them one at a time as part of their procedure.