3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 4:26 PM by Derek Parks

Composer Updating

Travis Hanson

I am trying to update a file in composer using a Solidworks document. From my findings I should be able to easily do this but when I try to update the file it doesn't work and it says the opendoc failed. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Re: Composer Updating
          Derek Parks

Would you please explain your workflow for how you are trying to update your file.

Are you trying to update the entire file? Or are you trying to just update or replace a specific part?

Just for starters make sure the document you are trying to update in Composer is not currently open in Solidworks when you are trying to update the file. This may give you that error since Composer is trying to open the Solidworks file in the background and it will fail if already opened.

Derek

Travis Hanson

I had already gone through the original Composer file and made all my views and such. Then I had a couple missing parts that were added to the Solidworks Assembly and I was trying to update the entire Assembly in Composer by using the Solidworks file. I did not have the file open in Solidworks as I figured that would be an issue but even when it was closed it still would fail.

I got it to work by saving the new solidworks file as a composer file in a different location then referencing the new composer file when I went to update.

Derek Parks

OK, glad you found a work around. I would however check with your VAR if for some reason you can't get the normal update to work to keep from having more steps. You should be able to just go to file>update and point it to the native Solidworks file when updating the whole assembly.. That being said you can always add individual parts to your original Composer files from Solidworks also but I tend to steer away from that unless it is only one or two parts.

Derek