4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 3:58 PM by William Ives

Multi-core Technology and SQL/EPDM

William Ives

Has anyone ran benchmark test on processor speed to the amount of cores the processor has to SW and SQL EPDM? Why waste money on a multi-core processor with a slow CPU speed??? A firm can purchase 10 plus cores with over 3 GHz CPU and for what gain? EX: If frequency is low, ie, below 2.5GHz, some applications may favor fewer faster cores than more slower cores?  Does the operating system and/or SQL take advantage or utilize multi-core (more then duel core) HT technology? Bus speed at the CPU remains the same.

• Re: Multi-core Technology and SQL/EPDM
          Charley Saint

William,

SQL is very good at running on multi-core systems. Even when it's running something in serial you have multiple active connections to the server, so they can each get their own core, or if it detects it can run something in parallel it will do so. But don't go crazy, CPU isn't too much of a bottleneck, but it can help with the "snappyness" of the system (time for dialogs to populate, etc).

• Re: Multi-core Technology and SQL/EPDM
              William Ives

Thanks Charley for your feedback.

Since I posted this I came across some interesting points of interest (since we are buying a new server, this is relevant to what we buy for 2014).

Some points I came across: a (6) core, if hyper threaded, can become two virtual processors. So a 6 core (Intel® Xeon® E5-2620) can have virtually 12 processors. Intel sells so many variations of CPU speeds, cache sizes to cores quantities that we can choose the highest CPU speed, highest cache at over 10 physical cores with a total of 40 virtual processors for 5 grand or more in cost, but will this have any impact on the speed of SQL to the overall I/O bus and SCSI access rates over a Ethernet bus and switch all for our small office?

This was sent to me by a Solidworks integrator: "The Client Access License (CAL) is bundled with Solidworks EPDM. A Processor Site Licenses (PSL) that are licensed differently per core. (A PSL licenses each physical or virtual core in a processor).  For a (CAL) on SQL Standard, you can take advantage of a maximum of 4 physical processors.  Other physical processors will still be available for use with other applications."

So the next question if we purchased the highest CPU speed & cache but with a 4 core processor that is hyper threaded, this would add to 8 virtual processors (speed at a lower cost).

This response was from SQLAdventurer:

"Hyperthreading is a technology that provides some additional processing power by dividing a single core into two logical processors.  The thinking is to push even more work through the physical CPU by having more threads ready and reducing the time the CPU spends waiting for a ready thread. In a workload where the physical processors are already saturated then implementing hyperthreading can actually reduce the workload. Workloads with high levels of contention can also experience poor performance using hyperthreading." (It depends on the client whether HT adds performance).

Solidworks Integrator: "It’s probably safe to say that more physical processors yield more processing power than the same number of logical and/or hyper-threaded processors.  Also, HT can be enabled/disabled via the BIOS, so you can try it out.  Each customer will likely need to try it out in their own environment."

So my conclusion: Purchasing an Intel® Xeon® E5-2637 v2 3.50GHz, 15M Cache, 8.0GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT, 4C, 130W, Max Mem 1866MHz.

This CPU has 4 cores (quad core) running at 3.5 GHz with the highest cache of 15M (for a client SQL (CAL)) server. Also, have a bus rate of 1866MHz. using HT for 8 virtual processors. Fastest SCSI we can get our hands on.