AnsweredAssumed Answered

Positive and negative "molds" for 3D printing!

Question asked by Fadi Jozif on Jan 2, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 4, 2014 by Krzysztof W.

Sorry about the confusing title but I need help and I don't know how else to describe my dilemma!

I am trying to deboss the letter B on a leatherette piece that is 0.75mm thick. I have a 3D printer so I want to create a positive mold for the deboss side (outside side of the leatherette) and a negative mold for the emboss side (inside side of the leatherette); think about it as a leatherette sheet pressed between two plastic parts where one part is an extrude boss of the letter B (the positive mold) and the other is an extrude cut of the letter B in a block (the negative mold). However, the negative mold has to be 0.75mm larger all around to accommodate for the thickness of the leatherette when sandwiched between the two molds.
:

I don't know how to do this: I don't know how to create an extrude cut of the letter B in a block that is 0.75mm larger all around. If I simply increase the font size then the whole letter increases in size include the two U shaped holes of the letter B--but these two holes need to get smaller by 0.75mm. (Please see the attached image.)

I hope I am making sense and I am really looking forward to any helpful feedback. Thank you!

Outcomes