AnsweredAssumed Answered

Just deployed ePDM and references/links are broken

Question asked by James Hutchins on Dec 31, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 by Michael Dekoning

My company is in the process of migrating our SolidWorks data from a shared network folder to ePDM.  I'm finding that now that the files are moved in, the assemblies are still looking for their children out in the old location.   The interesting thing is that my machine, where I conducted the actual move, sees everything just fine.  Everybody else in the company gets broken links.

Essentially what we did is move this:

Network Drive
     CAD Data Folder

Assemblies Folder

987 Folder

987.sldasm

988 Folder

988.sldasm

Parts Folder

123 Folder

123.sldprt

124 Folder

124.sldprt

To:

ePDM Vault
     CAD Data Folder

Assemblies Folder

987 Folder

987.sldasm

988 Folder

988.sldasm

Parts Folder

123 Folder

123.sldprt

124 Folder

124.sldprt

The basic steps I went through were,

• Create CAD Data Folder in vault
  • Copy Assemblies folder to my PC
  • Scrub the folder (eliminate duplicates, etc...)
  • Pasts scrubbed Assemblies folder in vault
  • Delete original Assemblies folder
  • Check assemblies into vault
  • Repeat (Copy/scrub/paste/check in) for parts folder

Now I realize that you can't just arbitrarily move folders around and expect SolidWorks to keep track, but I thought that ePDM would magically intervene and keep track of the references.  (The sales rep told me, so it has to be true)

The kicker is that it actually works fine on my machine.  I can go and open any assembly in the vault and its components populate just fine.  "File/references" show the components in their proper vault locations.  If anyone else opens the same assembly, they get broken link, and a "File/references" will show the now missing components in their old location.   If I check the file out, save, then check back in; it becomes corrected for everyone.

the BOM tab in the epdm/explorer view for assemblies is mostly blank, which would lead me to believe that epdm does not recognize that the assemblies contain any components at all, and that SolidWorks is doing the legwork finding the parts when I open them.  If I save and check back in as mentioned above, the epdm BOM will populate correctly.

My questions are:

Did I approach the migration completely wrong? 

My VAR seems to think this was a proper approach, and is stumped by the problem.  One of their guys was onsite when we tested this (on my machine) and didn't seem to have any reservations when we went over it.  Having only tested on my machine, we were pretty sure of ourselves at the time.  Since I can't be the first one to go from a network share to epdm, and I don't see many forum posts showing similar problems, I'm inclined to believe it's the problem is on my end.  Was it the staged checkin that killed it?

Is there a simple way out?

I have since discovered the update references tool, but similarly to the epdm BOM, it doesn't acknowledge that the assemblies actually contain any parts.  Would this have been useful if I used it before initial check in?

My current proposed solution is to simply checkout/save/checkin every assembly from my workstation, assuming that my copy of SolidWork will continue to properly rebuild the references.  At around 1000 assemblies, 2-300 of which are actually important; this seems like a better approach than scrapping it and starting fresh, hoping for better results.  If anyone has any suggestions though, or could tell me where I went wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes