16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 8:49 AM by Pete Yodis

Anyone using Windows Server 2012

Pete Yodis

Anyone using Windows Server 2012 yet?  Any issues.  How did you move to 2012 version?  We haven't yet gone live with EPDM.  We are currently configuring with EPDM 2013 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.  I'm contemplating before we go live to upgrade to EPDM 2014 and also Windows Server 2012.  I'm particularly interested in the data de-duplication feature (thanks for pointing this out Charley Saint).  If Server 2012 is relatively easy to upgrade to and offers nice benefits, then before we go live and shove tons of data into EPDM - it seems to make sense to get up to the latest release supported on Windows Server.  Thoughts?

• Re: Anyone using Windows Server 2012
          Charley Saint

Pete,

I did do some testing on Server 2012. A few of the things I found:

1) SQL 2008 R2 is unsupported unless you install the SP2 version: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30437

2) Getting .Net 3.5 installed is a pain if you're installing the SQL Server there, though it will try to lead you in the right direction

3) Disk De-duping did have a performance cost, but it is fairly minimal (unnoticable when getting 10 100MB files, around ~10% on getting 100 10MB files) and cut our vault size in half when we tested it.

4) The interface to Server 2012 is the same as Windows 8, because I suppose you're supposed to install it on a tablet :/

I wouldn't recommend an OS upgrade, those never seem to work right. You're better off kicking everyone off, backing everything up and formatting the server. If your OS is on a different drive than the archives and databases then you won't need to restore them from backup, but always take a backup first. As far as migrating all the services back onto it, there's a section of the install guide dedicated to moving components to a different server, which is essentially what you'll be doing.

Pete Yodis

Charley,

The OS and programs are on a different drive from the archive and databases.

If we did kick everyone out, reformat, and install Windows Server 2012, would SQL Server 2012 get installed with EPDM 2014?

It seems like the data depduplication feature alone would be worth the hassle of upgrading.  Would you agree?  I am thinking about the long term ramifications of this.  We are going live in 2014 and will probably use this setup for a long time.  Five years from now, it seems like it would have been worth it to be on Windows Server 2012 and saved 30-50% in file storage, than to be still running Windows Server 2008 R2 with almost twice the storage needs.

Charley Saint

Pete,

2014 fully supports SQL Server 2012, but it does not come with a license of it yet. I remember hearing it won't come with the install until 2015, but I don't remember who said that so don't hold me to it. So for the time being you should probably stay on SQL Server 2008 R2 unless you already have a corporate SQL Server or something along those lines. I'd say it's the right time for an OS upgrade if you haven't gone live yet, since I would suspect SW will phase out Server 2008 in the next couple of years. More than likely they will probably start phasing out old version of SQL to take advantage of newer functionality, and if 2015 supports SQL 2014 then we are probably going to recommend that to our customers if it performs the way we are expecting it to, and you'll need MS Server 2012 to run that, so I'd say go for it and save yourself the trouble later.

Pete Yodis

Thanks Charley.  Good to know it makes sense to make the upgrade with EPDM 2014.  Maybe by the time EPDM 2015 arrives, we won't need physical servers on premise to worry about .

Pete Yodis

Charley,

Could you look this over?

The steps to upgrade our system to Windows Server 2012 running SQL Server 2008R2 Service Pack 2 and EPDM 2014 are as follows:

1. Create a backup of our test vault
                          2. Kick everyone off the server
                          3. Reformat the OS and application drive (database and archives are on a different RAID array)
                          4. Install Windows Server 2012
                          5. Install .Net 3.5 somehow
                          6. Install SQL Server 2008R2 from the EPDM disk
                          7. Download and install service pack 2.0 for SQL Server 2008 R2
                          8. Install EDPM 2014 on the server
                          9. Ensure EPDM 2014 is connected to the archive server and database server on the different RAID array.
                          10. Upgrade all clients to EPDM 2014
                              Charley Saint

Just a couple of additions:

1. Create a backup of our test vault
                              2. Backup Archive Settings (Page ~496 of Administration Guide)
                              3. Kick everyone off the server
                              4. Reformat the OS and application drive (database and archives are on a different RAID array)
                              5. Install Windows Server 2012
                              6. Install .Net 3.5 somehow
                              7. Install SQL Server 2008R2 from the EPDM disk
                              8. Download and install service pack 2.0 for SQL Server 2008 R2
                              9. Install EDPM 2014 on the server
                              10. Restore Archive Settings
                              11. Ensure EPDM 2014 is connected to the archive server and database server on the different RAID array.
                              12. Run EPDM Database Upgrade Utility to update the vault to 2014
                              13. Add 2014 License in the Administration tool
                              14. Upgrade all clients to EPDM 2014
                      Jeremiah Davis

One thing to keep in mind with Server 2012 is that Microsoft has removed indexing services from this version of the OS. Which means the EPDM full document search will no longer work. If this is important to you, you might want to rethink Server 2012.