7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2014 1:49 AM by Jeni Mann

Loft feature

Valentina Tina

Hi,

I am trying to create 'hook' with the loft feature. The start and end profiles are both circles, but when I create the loft, it looks like the ends of the solid aren't perfectly round, it's like they're made of 3 arcs instead.

The curved lines you see aren't supposed to be there, how do I fix this?

I am inserting an image for better understanding. When I continued with boss extrude upwards, there were no lines.

Any help would be most appreciated.4.PNG

• Re: Loft feature
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Tina.

Those can be the tangent lines. Can you please attach the part file to check/verify.

Please use "advanced editor" in case you want to attach any files.Click on reply and then click "use advanced editor".

Editor.png

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

Valentina Tina

Thank you for your welcome, your suggestions and your reply. I've updated my profile.

I'm not sure these lines are tangent lines. When I try to select the circle on the top, it only selects the arc between the lines instead.

It's difficult to explain in writing so, as you have suggested, I'm attaching the file of my part.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Tom dunn

For the top cylinder create a new sketch, use a circle as your sketch. extrude the circle upwards and you will no longer have the three lines. For the hook tip you can offset a plane from the existing surface at a distance of 20.91mm. create a point on this surface and use the loft feature. Loft between the surface and the point. Use a start constraint of tangancy to face and an end constraint of normal to profile. You may have to hide your existing sketch14 to create the loft. 

I would post my model but I am on ver 2013.

Tom dunn

If you right click on a line you don't want in your drawing at the very top of the box that pops up you will see an icon. it has 2 vertical lines one black on the left and a red one on the right with two arrows in the center hit this and the line you don't want will disappear. Note: on your hook tip, it is made up of more that one line so you will have to select lines more that once in that area. The top cylinder area should be just one line. Tom