7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 11:27 AM by Pete Yodis

Workflow for PDF files

Pete Yodis

I have PDFs automatically created by tasks being run upon approval of our drawings in the vault.  The PDFs are placed in a folder in the vault.  We want to be able to lay the PDF revisions over top of the last PDF file in the vault.  This is an option with the SolidWorks convert to PDF task.  I do not want to just replace the last revision in the vault.  I have a workflow for Released PDF file that is just a state called "Vaulted".  Currently the revisions of the PDFs are not being kept in the vault, despite the setting in the task to do this.  I am thinking I need to set something properly on the workflow for Released PDFs.  Do I need a rev scheme on the Vaulted State for Released PDFs?

Released PDFs workflow.JPG

• Re: Workflow for PDF files
          Joy Garon

Hi Pete - Not sure exactly what you are trying to do? Can you provide an example of what files are being created where and what the names are? Joy

Pete Yodis

Joy,

These are the settings in the PDF task for File Output Details...

PDF output file details.JPG

The PDF's are being created during the transition from "Under Review" to "Released" in our Design Engineering CAD documents workflow.  They get saved to the vault folder "Released_Drawing_PDFs".  The PDFs enter a workflow with just 1 state (Vaulted).  I would like the PDF revisions (created by successive trips of the SLDDRW file through its workflow), to be kept to be able to be accessed later.  The task is set to "create new version of existing files", but running our SLDDRW files through several trips in its workflow does not produce PDFs with muliple versions. I only have the latest PDF version available after the SLDDRW file has made numberous trips through its own workflow.

Joy Garon

Hi Pete -

Are you confusing versions with revisions?

A version is a numeric increment that occurs when you checkin a modified file.

A revision is a user specified 'stamp' that is applied to a file during a specific point in the workflow.

Perhaps you want to use this:

pdfrev.bmp

Joy

Pete Yodis

Joy,

Sorry if I am mixing version and revision lingo... still not used to EPDM lingo just yet.  Let me try to simplify using correct lingo... 

I do not want the PDF file name to contain the source file revision.  I want the PDF file to remain the same file name everytime, and it should be the same as the source file name.  I want the PDF file to have versions that capture all the revisions that the SLDDRW has gone through.  I am not getting the versioning of the PDF file, it just seems to replace the existing file.  I was wondering if the workflow where the PDF resides nees to have something set up to allow this.  I thought I remember from training that there didn't need to be anything setup for the PDF workflow in order to get versions of the PDF file to match revisions of the SLDDRW.

Joy Garon

Hi Pete -

Okay, now I understand. I created a video to show what happens when you have a different, one state workflow for PDF's and you create new versions of the PDF.

In the case of the PDF there is no revision generated.

The part file is stamped with a revision and the PDF is created and placed in the appropriate folder.

When you rev the part again via the workflow a new version of the PDF is generated. (see attached video)

What were you expecting to happen?

Joy

Pete Yodis

Joy,

I was expecting what you included in your video.  I have the same settings as your video for the PDF task...create new version of existing files, however I don't get the versions appearing after several trips through the source file's workflow.  When the PDF is created, only the latest verison is showing under the folder "Released_Drawing_PDFs".  Your video shows the versions of the PDF that can be accessed.  My vault is not versioning the file and I am puzzled as to why it is not...

Pete

Pete Yodis

Got it.  I had renamed the PDF folder to one with dashes and forgot to change the properties on the Workflow for PDF files to only use this folder.  Once I correctly changed the properties on the PDF file Workflow, the files started versioning upon successive trips of its parent file through our engineering workflow.