5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2007 4:10 PM by Steve Moses

Uses of PDMWE

Scott Benzie
      Hello All,

This seems a pretty sparse forum, but i will pose my questions and see if there are any interesting answers !!

I have testing \ evaluating the PDMWE package for a few weeks and am very impressed, looks very powerful.

One of the things I was wondering from and engineering standards point of view are there many company`s out there using this package for more than just CAD data management ???

We are in a lucky situation to be setting up our systems from near fresh, and PDMWE looks like a good option for also storing our Material Specifications, MSDS sheets and Test Reports in a structured fashion.

Is there anyone out there using PDMWE for this ??? Do you use seperate vaults for this or one large vault ???

Regards,
      Scott

• Uses of PDMWE
          Joy Garon
          Hi Scott -

Most Enterprise users are managing other documents types in addition to CAD.
          We actually have a customer in Europe who is only managing non-CAD data.

If you are going to SolidWorks World you may have an opportunity to speak with some customers who use it to manage non-CAD files.
          I know of one customer who is using it to manage all project related Word and Excel documents and even Outlook messages.

Here is a link to how one customer is using it today... (refer to page 3)
          http://atst.nso.edu/press/newsletter/V1N3.pdf

Cheers,
          Joy
            • Uses of PDMWE
              Scott Benzie
              Thanks Joy,

Interesting article, was interesting to see the folder structure and how people are using it.

Do you know if you can comunication parameters \ variables between vaults ???

Regards,
              Scott
                • Uses of PDMWE
                  Joy Garon
                  Hi Mark -

Can you give me a better idea of what you are trying to do?

Joy
                    • Uses of PDMWE
                      Scott Benzie
                      I was thinking about the following senario -

1. A vault to store our material specifications for machining of steel.
                      2. Another vault for the storing of catalogued drawings \ parts.

I was then wondering if I could add say a material specification serial number to a drawing, the PDMWE could be directed to the other vault to collect the title\description\revision for that material specification and populate some fields in the drawing card ???

Sorry if I`m not explaing myself very well, I have not really started using PDMWE yet too much.

Would be nice to see some more discussion on this forum, thus I`m asking some questions.

Regards,
                      Scott
                        • Uses of PDMWE
                          Steve Moses
                          We are currently using PDMWE to manage some engineering XL and DOCdocuments, in addition to SolidWorks documents.

We are using the template functionality to generate theseengineering documents with their appropriate property information. Additional benefit to keeping all these docs in the sameVault is that they can have common properties, hence they are allsearchable by the same criteria.  For example, we have a"Machine Model" variable that is consistent across alldocument types - a user can search for all documents by thisvariable to quickly find all documents (including Solidworks modelsand drawings) pertaining to a particular machine model, in a singlesearch.

Keeping these docs in the Vault is also more secure - PDMWE givesyou a very nice history of the file so you can easily see what wasdone when and by whom.