9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 6:06 AM by Faur Arama

Overwrite previous version/revision?

Chris Manger

Is it possible to overwrite a previous versions/revision without rolling back in History?   Sometimes I find a released model that is saved with an incorrect custom property, wrong configuration, and/or display state.   This causing the data card to be incorrect or the preview to be incorrect.   I would like to check the file out (as an admin) and fix these files but overwrite the previous version so all version references are the same.

• Re: Overwrite previous version/revision?
          Brian Dalton

In short, no.  To replace an earlier version you must rollback.

Charley Saint

Chris,

You can overwrite the previous version as long as always work with latest is not turned on. Just check out the file, then "Get" the older version and check it in on top of the latest. Not much you can do but rollback actual revisions though.

Jason Capriotti

That just allows you to create a new revision that is the older file.

We have a situation sometimes where say the file is at revision "D" in engineering, but manufacturing is producing revision "B". These are configurable sheetmetal parts and a program automatically configures them for a job, then saves a dxf out for the robotic machine that runs them. Sometimes there is a naming error for one of the feature or an equation syntax problem. So I need to fix the revision "B, C, & D" models. In ePDM I can only fix the latest.

Our workaround is to store updated copies of revisions "B" and "C" in a folder on a server outside ePDM and the program that pulls the model for processing checks there to see if a file exists and uses it instead of the ePDM copy.

In order for ePDM to allow this....it would need some sort of branching versioning....like vsay revision "B" is version 8....then allow it to be checked out by an admin and check it in as version 8.1. For us this is strictly file corrections aand errors, not design changes.

Chris Manger

I should have posted an example:

version 1 - created

version 2 - checked in

version 3 - checked in

version 4 - checked in

version 4 - Revision 00

Now, I need to edit version 4 but I don't want to roll another version.   The only way I see I can do this is to Rollback to version 4 - checked in, then re-release it.

Our old PDM app allowed you to "overwrite previous version", it was an admin function.  I just want to make sure this isn't available in EPDM.

Charley Saint

Chris,

If you don't mind there being 2 Rev 00 files you can still do it without rollback. You just need to a state for the administrator with the revision scheme included and an incrament value of 0, then point a transition to it with an increment transition action. That will essentially restamp the revision to the file and you'll end up with 2 Rev 00 files. Not that I actually recommend doing that, but it is possible.

Kevin Holbrook

Chris,

In adding to Charley's suggestion. I have created a workflow loop that allows for no fit for or function changes. This loops sets a secondary revision. from there it automatically gets routed back to released. The released state only reports the primary because it is a valid rev scheme for that state. Thus dropping the  secondary. It is possible

Faur Arama

For these minor corrections we use an linked workflow for editing without altering the revision number. When transioning the file back to the released state there are 2 actions set variable revision to %revision% (not %nextrevision%) and increment revision. Pay attention to the destination state that must have on revision "increment by" nothing.

This method is about revisions not versions. New versions are created anyway.

Adrian Pop

Hi Chris,

I don't see why is mandatory to keep the same version numbers, what really matters is the revision number and this will not be affected if you apply the already recommended suggestions or if you don’t want to create additional workflow states just use a special “CAD Admin” that is allowed to check out Version 4 – Revision 00, make the required changes and get in the end “version 5 Check in” still using Revision 00. You will see in the file history that was an admin modification.

The “overwrite version” functionality during check in, especially on a file with revision, is not indicated simply because is required to track all file modifications.

As far as I know the only way to “overwrite versions” is when using File Version Upgrade Tool but this is part of an automatic process for SolidWorks files.