11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 5:31 PM by Jared Conway

Video recording of flow simulation

Wassim Hassoun

When I record a video while doing flow simulation the flow lines do not show in the video. Just the part and how I am rotating it.Any Solutions?

• Re: Video recording of flow simulation
          Eric Ryan

Wassim,

If you stop rotating the model, do the flow lines show up?  I found that while animating flow trajectories, if I moved the model while making an animation the flow lines dissappeared.  If I stopped rotating, the lines reappeared.  I am using a motion controller.

I found that using a screen capture program like Snag-it worked better for recoring animations and rotating the model.  That might be something to try. 

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

Hope this is of some help.

Eric

Jared Conway

On the screen it shows but the output video doesn't?what graphics card are you using?

Screen cap is a food workaround but flow should be able to export the video properly. I just did one for a customer in 2014 sp0.0 without issue.

Eric Ryan

Fellows,

I did some checking and found that I was incorrect in my previous post.  I had flow lines disappearing when I was using my screen capture program.  If I was playing the flow animation, rotating the model, and recording a screen video, the flow lines disappeared.  This was all on SW 2012 SP 4, and on my old XP machine.

Now, on my new machine, the flow lines don't disappear, but the do stop motion when rotating.  Again, this is when using the screen capture program.  So, the screen capture may not be a very good alternative.

For Wassim's problem, I wonder if the playing of the flow lines is not in synch with the rotation of the model. I attached a picture to show how they look in one of my animations.  I have also found that the time control lines for playing the flow trajectories must be pink.  I guess that means they are active in the animation.  I am still trying to figure out how to do these animations myself, but perhaps Jared might have some more insight on how things are controlled.

If I find anything else, I will pass it on.

Eric

FLOW ANIMATION.jpg

Jared Conway

is the problem on the screen as well as in the output or just in the output?

what kind of hardware are you using?

Jared Conway

also is this happening on every model or just this one

i'm inclined to think this is a computer/hardware/graphics card problem if your screen capture tool can't capture it properly or its not showing on the screen. have you tried enabling software opengl in the performance options in solidworks?

from a screen cap tool, try jing, we've used it on pretty bad computers for troubleshooting.

Eric Ryan

The problem is in both and is happens on all models.  Although, the performance on screen seems to be the main problem.  The screen capture actually seems to be recording exactly what is happening.  As I look at this closer, I noticed that the flow lines are not actually stopping, they are just going very slow.  They slow down more when I use the motion controller, less when using the mouse.  This does seem to indicate hardware hitting a limitation. 

I am using a Quadro 2000 in an HP Z420 with 12G of RAM.  I think the bulk of my original problem was with my old machine.  This new one is working much better, but sometimes it seems like it should perform better.

I just tried the Open GL software and it seems a little better, but mostly the same. 

ER