1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 5:51 PM by John Burrill

installation issue

Ralph Shillingburg

when loading the 2013 version it states it will not install on a XP pc. My pc is windows 7 professional, and or can not obtain license for solidwork standard

Whats up?

• Re: installation issue
          John Burrill

That's unusual.  It sounds like you're trying to run the setup in compatibility mode or you're trying to install it in the Virtual PC, Windows XP Mode. 

I don't have XP mode installed, so I can't tell if it can assert itself as the default installation environment. But it's probably worth a cursory look at your machine to figure out why.

The alternative could be that this dialog box is showing up as part of another installation error.  I would look at the installation logs (on my machine they're in c:\USERS\<Account>.<Domain>\appdata\Roaming\SolidWorks\Installation Logs\) and make sure that's what caused the installation to error out.

I'm not really sure I understand the issue you're having with licensing.  Licensing is a seperate deal from installation.  the installation wizard takes the serial number you entered (for this or a previous release) and checks your entitlement over the internet when you first launch the installer and then activates the license once you've completed the setup process.  , So, compatibility doesn't really factor into it.  If you're having a licensing issue, call your VAR (or have your IT manager call your VAR) and they should be able to straighten you out right away.

If your problems persist, post a screen shot of the error message you're getting and we'll see if we can help you narrow down the cause.

John