14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 10:55 AM by Wayne Marshall

Local revision vrs Revision

Lawrence Kiefer

I am hoping someone can explain why there are two revision varriable fields in EPDM THe loval revision and the Revision. To my knowledge, there is alway only one current revision of any type of file, not two, yet EPDM has two revision fields that can be diferent. This causes a lot of confusion with the users. I have overcome this by setting up an increment revision cycle in my workflow to insure that they always match, however I still have no explanation as to why solidworks made two revision fields.

Thanks.

• Re: Local revision vrs Revision
          Charley Saint

Lawrence,

The Local Revision field only gets filled in if the version of the file you have has a revision attached. Looking at the history dialog will give you a better understanding:

2013-12-18_0832.png

On this file, if I pull version 3 it will say the Local Revision is A because it has the Revision stamp applied to it (Red Checkmark)

2013-12-18_0834.png

If I pull version 4 then the Local revision gets cleared because there is no checkmark associated with 4:

2013-12-18_0836.png

Lawrence Kiefer

This I understand. The issue is that the revisions here, do not match the actual revision on the drawing in solidworks. UNLESS, I force it through a workflow state that matches it, which I have done. So my wuestion is, Why EPDM's local revision by default is seperate AND differant from the actual file revision.

If I am looking at a file in EPDM, and the history file tells me I am looking at revision C for example, I cannot count on this because I know the actual drawing revision has no link to the EPDM revision whatsoever.

Is there some good reason that I am missing here that solidworks would make the EPDM revision seperate from the solidworks revision?

Charley Saint

Lawrence,

Sounds like something specific to your setup, like your workflows aren't reving drawings just models and the revision variable flows down into the drawing through PRPSHEET mapping. What I'm getting at is it should be the same, if it's not then there is probably something misconfigured in your workflows.

Brian McEwen

Helps to know about these two revision values. If I want to add a Column to Windows Explorer to show the Local Revision how do I do it?  "File Revision" and "Revision" are the only related options I see in the Variables in the Customize Columns tool. (won't matter as much once I figure out how to get them synced)

Thanks!

Lawrence Kiefer

In order to get them synced I had to wright a workclow that I matches the File revision and the Local revisision. There is no out of the box way to sync these that I know of.

Brian McEwen

That makes sense.  But is there also no way to display the Local Revision value with the Columns editor in Admin tool? 

When I look through all the Variables only ones that seem related are "Revision" (which is the other one) and "File Revision" which is currently blank for everything.  But have I files with the Local Revision value you mention - I'm just not sure how to get at it. It must not be a "variable", it is something else. 

This is an almost Default Vault, recently created. Default Workflow...

Ah I see, I was using Modify>>Increment Revision for testing.  This only changes the Local Revision value. If you actually run through the default workflow it does have 2 actions (image below) on the "Change Approved" Transition, so it bumps both values up. 

change approved.JPG

Lawrence Kiefer

You got it. Both have to be set. but if you for example bring in legacy files from outside of pdm that already have revisions they will be out of sync with the local revision as that will start back at A or whatever your starting revision is. Hence the Migration workflow I mentioned. I send all files through this workflow behind the scene and it syncs the revisions before they go out for approval so my local revision and solidworks revision always match.

Brian McEwen

Thanks for replies Lawrence -

Does this reveal another explanation for why they have separate Revision variable and Local Revision?

http://www.caddedge.com/blog/bid/174900/EPDM-Revision-Control-for-Drawing-Approval

As I understand it - you can show the new Rev letter while the drawing is being reviewed (I guess this would not be necessary if you maintain manual control of the revision displayed in the drawing title block) - yet SQL does not increment the revision until the drawing is actually released. So they are intentionally out of sync during a change.

But you keep them synced - so your unrelased drawings show the old rev in the title block? Perhaps you just show the new rev level in the revision table? But I've seen one image of your crazy workflow in another post ( Handling large workflows-any reccomendations? )   -So maybe the story is more complex for you. 

Lawrence Kiefer

Brian,

This could absolutely be used as you say...to be able to view the new revision while under review for approval, although I do believe that the reason epdm has 2 revisions is so that you can track revisions of non solidworks files such as PDF documents if needed.

With my workflow's, when a file is submitted for approval and goes off into approval land to our many departments, both revisions are incremented show the new revision letter, however if a file is rejected it reverts back, until it is re-submitted. I do this, simply because when I first implemented epdm, multiple people outside of engineering were coming to my desk and telling me that the revisions didn't match lol. Its easy to set it up the way I did and that eliminated any further confusion.

One thing I have learned setting up epdm company wide is that although the engineers have a really good grasp on this system, and are very computer savvy, there are still others outside of engineering that are not so I try to keep it simple.

As far as my crazy workflow, although it appears pretty complex, when you break it down, I think  the way Ive set this up simplified it. This workflow is only 1 of 3 that are related to the approval process. I broke the workflow's into 3 categories ...

1 - Work in progress (where the files live while being worked on)

2 - Approval workflow (where the files live while being routed for approval)

3- Print room work flow (Where the drawings get reviewed and get the final approval by the print room. In our company the print room personnel check for clerical errors such as spelling, grammar or missing items in the title block, rev table or ECO)

4-Distribution workflow (In our company, we have 3 departments that the released documents get distributed to one they are released, these departments are required to sign off on the ECO as received.)

5-Released workflow (Obvious, where files in the released state live, giving more people in the company access to view them, and also where files have the most protection and restrictions to prevent change)

Hope this helps.

Lee CS Young

The reason it's there in the first place; some files do not support custom properties but still need to be revision controlled.

Faur Arama

It happens also when a user that has right to checkout a file in released state (where file as F revision)  make some modifications and when is checkin create a new version that has no revision number. If use latest version is on this is the version that is the last one.

To avoid this confusion make such modifications by an workflow that maintain the same revision number. In other words it creates a new version of the file with the same revision number.

Wayne Marshall

Lawrence,

The key to this is the 'Revision' Flag in the History (that was explained earlier) but the context may need expanding.

1. File Versions that are not linked to a 'Revision' are known in EPDM as Working Versions. There is a User Permission to allow access to Working Versions so if this is disabled those Users can only see files that are 'published' via a Workflow Transition that does an 'increment revision'. As soon as a file flagged as a Revision is checked out / checked in (in whatever Workflow State it is in) a new 'working version' will be created so the local file is no longer a ;Revision' as far as the Database is concerned - this doesn't change the letter / number on the Drawing though which is driven by how you define your Workflow.
                                2. If you use Cold Storage in your Vault to manage the number of 'versions' that are retained (to control the size of your Archive) then any file flagged as a 'Revision' will never be put into Cold Storage only the 'working versions'  in between.

Another point that that may help explain why they may want to be controlled separately is linked to how different companies describe "Revisions" versus "Issues" of drawings. I have a number of Customers that want the 'revision' on the Drawing border to change (increment) as soon as they push a file from a Released State to an editable one (e.g. Under Change), however the version under change will be modified before it is 'issued' so we don't actually want to stamp the 'Revision' flag on the file (i.e. protect it / make it public) until it is Released later. In this scenario when we move the file to 'under change' we increment the Revision VARIABLE only then on release we run the 'Increment Revision' command making that version a 'Revision' in the Database.

This distinction doesn't actually relate to whether the file type supports Custom Properties or not (unless you want the Revision Variable to be written as a Custom Property to the file), it is all about process and how EPDM stores the data in the SQL Database.

Kind regards

Wayne Marshall

Solid Solutions Management