14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 7:58 AM by Kevin Berni

How can I fix my display?

Pete Lilley

Ever since I updated to 2014 a lot of my option screens don't fit in their window anymore.  I can't drag the windows any bigger either.  I need to use the little sliders to see the entire window.  Is this a video card problem or what?

A couple of examples.  See the buttons are "under" the window edge.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

• Re: How can I fix my display?
          Kelvin Lamport

Is this a video card problem or what?

Do you have an approved card & driver? Did you update the driver after installing SW14?

Run the SolidWorks Rx diagnostic to check.

Stefan Wozniak

Try set windows font size to smaller.

I have such case on one computer. At monday I will do clean uninstal and I will set new instalation. I will let you know if it helped.

If not I will contact reseler support.

Pete Lilley

My video card driver is out of date.  I can't update it myself because I don't have Admin rights but I have asked to have it installed.  I'll let you know if it helps.

As for the font size, I did have it set to larger then default and I set it to smaller.  The problem is improved but not fixed.

Kelvin Lamport

Pete Lilley wrote:

My video card driver is out of date.  I can't update it myself because I don't have Admin rights ...

You should have, at least, local Power User rights on your computer to effectively run SW. If your IT people balk at that idea, try to have your VAR talk with them to explain why.

Pete Lilley

I updated my driver and set the font to the smallest size and it is still the same.  I can't drag these windows bigger either which is bizare because I seem to remember being able to do it in 2013.

Here is another window after the driver update.  Is this what it is suposed to look like?

screen3.jpg

Below is the Driver RX report.

screen4.png

Kelvin Lamport

If I remember correctly, there have been several thereads about problems with the Quadro 4000 card and/ot it's drivers.

You may have to experiment with older or newer drivers from the nVidia site. nVidia even have some Beta versions which I've used succesfully in the past. I doubt your IT people will approve though, even if it's only for your local machine.

Jim Wilkinson

The fonts in the Options dialog that you just posted this morning still look large. Compare them to the one in the title bar. If you did not already, try exiting SolidWorks and restarting and if that does not work, try rebooting. When you change the windows font, it sometimes takes at least a program restart and sometimes and OS restart to get those settings to propagate down to applications.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Pete Lilley

I did a full system shutdown/restart and it made no difference.  The windows font is set the the smallest size.  I wonder if I need to reinstall SolidWorks with the Windows font set to small?

It also looks like I have several different sizes of fonts displayed on my screen at one time.  See picture below.  I would think all the fonts should look the same size.

screen6.jpg

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Pete,

Can you go to Tools, Customize and look to see what you have the "Text size" setting set to? Perhaps you have it on the middle SolidWorks setting instead of the "Use operating system scale" setting?

Thanks,

Jim

Pete Lilley

Wow, that was it!  I was about to give up hope.  Thanks,

(P.S. I see that was your 666th post.  I hope that's not a bad sign.)

Jim Wilkinson

Wow. 666! Scary

Glad it fixed it. Note that we are aware of the inconsistencies with the font sizes when using these new font settings in SolidWorks 2014. We have made some fixes in SP01 and more are coming in SP02.

Thanks,

Jim

Kevin Berni

Hi Guys,

I’m a member of the User Experience Design group here in the SolidWorks R&D team. We are responsible for the the usability and user interface design of SolidWorks.

First, let me acknowledge and apologize for the issues with font scaling on high resolution monitors. In both SolidWorks 2013 and SolidWorks 2014 we made some changes which have had unintended consequences. These changes were largely focused around support for touch devices like the Surface Pro, and involved things like increased button sizes and active button areas when using touch. We thought the changes worked across different devices, screen sizes, and resolutions, but obviously we were wrong. We screwed up, and we apologize for this.

We are taking this issue seriously, and it is getting priority attention in the R&D team. We are actively working on fixes right now. These fixes are rooted in the Service Requests (SRs) that have been submitted, and the SPRs that came out of those SRs. The first batch of fixes will be included in SolidWorks 2014 SP02, which will be available in the coming weeks.

The fixes in SP02 are focused on the text sizing issues, and on making sure our text sizing does not clash with the Windows font scaling. To do this, we needed to redesign the UI for touch support, and we have re-worked the Tools Customize dialog box to provide an “Optimize spacing for touch” setting; this new setting will drive the sizing of user interface elements for touch interaction. This change also allows us to fix some of the inconsistencies with the height of text in the FeatureManager tree, menus, and PropertyManagers.

We are committed to get this right, but unfortunately it isn’t as simple as just setting a font. Everything will not be fixed in SP02, but you should see a significant improvement. In the near future, we plan to complete the work of fixing these issues and streamlining the interface for text, button, and touch sizing.   Development resources have been and continue to be committed to working on this.

Please continue to document issues you see. This has been extremely helpful to us in diagnosing and ultimately coming up with a plan to fix these problems.  We’d love to hear your feedback on the changes as they get made and how they are working on your system.

Thanks again for your patience,

Kevin

Kevin Berni

SolidWorks R&D, User Experience Design

Sirio Volpi

The same behavior with Quadro K2000M video card. However, I don't think the problems are caused by the video card. In version 2014 the FlowSimulation FeatureManager looks different from all other. It still looks like it was in version 2013. The proportion of  font size and line space in all other FeatureManager are somehow odd, no matter what for Windows or SolidWorks setting is used.

James Pare

I'm seeing a bunch of graphis issues with a Nvdea 2000, dynamic selection is hardly working, get residual effetcts on my screen from different windows