3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 11:56 AM by Jared Conway

DATCOM vs. Flow Simulation

Paul Watts

Hello Everyone,

Has anybody ever seen any documents that contain a comparison of results between DATCOM and SolidWorks Flow Simulation? I’ve generated lift and drag coefficient tables using Flow Simulation, but am having trouble convincing my peers that the results are more realistic than what DATCOM is able to produce. Any help or guidance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

• Re: DATCOM vs. Flow Simulation
          Bill McEachern

I ran a beachcraft for a mod shop and the lift came out very close. The model was supplied by Beach but man the clean up effort was heavy but mostly on the fuse. There is a paper that I read (that I could attach if the button to do so was more obvious - how hard is it to add a paper clip button to these edit dialogs.......go figure)  that would provide insight into the performance of the code on 3D wings. the upshot is that with only the ke turbulance model your drag numbers will be high at low to moderate AOA. Near and post stall it works better than most so says the paper.

• Re: DATCOM vs. Flow Simulation
            Jared Conway

hi paul, if you haven't done so already, i'd check customerportal.solidworks.com > knowledgebase and take a look at some of the discussions about lift and drag. it is certainly possible to get good accurate results in many situations or at least good trending results. but some are more challenging. if you look at some of the posts here on the forum, you'll see that setup has a lot to do with getting good accurate results. your reseller should be able to work with you on this.

if you need another peice of information, go into the tutorials, technical reference and solving engineering problems docs. it talks about the methods and also includes a validation example.

personally on the projects that i've run where lift and drag has been important, we got really accurate results but it required and appropriate mesh and comp domain size.