4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 11:21 AM by Jared Conway

Axial Fan Rotating Region- Pressure/Velocity Averaging at Inlet and Outlet Surfaces

Will Seeber

I have set up a simulation of an axial fan using internal flow and a rotating region.  (This is a slightly different scenario than my previous post because of the duct shapes used in this one).  The inlet ducting makes a 90 degree angle-- I know this is an awful design, but that is the point of the simulation. I want to see how the 90 degree angle affects fan performance.  There is a non-uniform pressure and velocity distribution at the inlet surface of my rotating region extruded body.  There is a low pressure region toward the outside of the 90 degree bend and a high pressure region towards the inside of the 90 degree bend.  However, when I look at the flows through the fan, they are uniform all the way around.  The pressure profiles around each of the 8 blades are virtually identical.  It seems that the flow through the fan is unaffected by the non-uniform inlet conditions...  The only reason for this as far as I can see would be if Solidworks averages the inlet conditions across the entire surface of the rotating region inlet and then applies that to the rotating region.  Is this the case?  If so, I will need a different method of simulating this problem... Thoughts/ideas?