8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2014 1:40 PM by Jim Sculley

Distinguish real production part from fake non-part file

Terry Raymond

How do yall separate "real" part files you plan on building/buying vs misc part files that are not built? 

Non-part part files being FEA models, representational models used to make a drawing, concepts, morgued files that we want to save but will probably not develop, etc.

Problem is that when I search my vault, I may find 10 part files, but maybe only 2 of them are real parts.

Maybe a variable flag ie "real part" that is set to checked by default on the search card??

• Re: Distinguish real production part from fake non-part file
          Jim Sculley

We have a drop down list on our data card tied to a variable called Item Type.  Some values of this field are:

Purchased

Manufactured

Subassembly

Modified Part

Reference Geometry

etc....

The last one, Reference Geometry, is how we handle models that represent things we don't make or buy.  We do a lot of work inside large facilities such as power plants.  We may have to model existing concrete work and structural steel and such to make sure our equipment will fit.  This is all Reference Geometry.

We also have a two distinct areas for files.  While models are being designed and detailed, they live in a Work In Progress (WIP) folder associated with a particular project.  When they are complete, the files are released, at which point they are given part numbers, renamed to match their part numbers and are moved to a separate set of folders organized by part number.  When the job is done, the project WIP folder will contain any Reference Geometry parts and leftover parts that didn't become real parts.

The Item Type variable is also used to put files in different workflows.  We have a Purchased Item workflow and a CAD Documents workflow.

Jim S.

Terry Raymond

Jim,

Thanks, we have very similar.  When you search your vault for a part with say "pump" in the description, do you get a mix of real and reference part files?  Or do you have to select "purchased" for the part type?

Jim Sculley

Normally it would be a mix, but since the reference parts won't have part numbers, they are easy to identify.  Also, since our part numbers are always six digits with file names that match them, I can search for files named ??????.sld* and PUMP in the description to eliminate any reference parts.

Jim S.

Terry Raymond

Aha!  There is a difference.  We've been using the serial number generator to make our part numbers, so ALL files have been getting part numbers.  We're fixing to turn that off with an add-in.

Do you mind sharing how you assign your part #s?

Thanks much

Jim Sculley

I wrote an add-in to handle the part number assignment.  I wanted the process to be a simple and error-free as possible for the users.  It was also written with the goal of eventually being able to acquire part numbers directly from our ERP system (Oracle Applications).

When a part or assembly design is complete and detailed, the user performs a 'Submit for Release' transition on the part or assembly only.  The drawings area handled automatically.  If the variable ORACLE_ITEM_NUMBER is not a part number (6 numerical characters) an automatic transition sends the file to an Assigning Oracle Number state.  My addin is looking for files that enter this state at which point it pops up a form asking the user to enter the part number.  The user must  then create a new number in the Oracle system (this is the part I intend to automate, thus eliminating this step).   The user then enters the Oracle number in my form and the add-in then completes the processing.  This processing involves renaming the part or assembly to match the Oracle number and moving it to a new directory, organized by part number.  The add-in will then process the drawing as well, renaming it and moving it.  If the released file is an assembly, the children will be processed as well, with a form popping up each time a part number is required. The last step is to generate a PDF of the drawing and putting it in a Public directory where it is available for other groups.

Jim S.

Terry Raymond

Question - you have a variable to store your part number inside part files.

Do you use this same field for other file types?  Ie drawings linked to that file, pdfs of the drawing, dxfs of the part, etc?

We are and I'm not sure it is the best thing to do.