2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 5:17 PM by Jon Malack

Transition task based on logged in user to write variable to card

Jeff Thomas

I know how to setup a transition task that will write a variable to the data card, however I want to drive this task based on the logged in user. We have two individuals that can approve drawings and send them to a "Released" state. Our drawing packages can be quite large so I want to write the approver and approver date to data card for all files that pass through the transistion. I need to setup two transitions, one for each user. Now the logical person would select the transition with his name on it however I want to ensure Fred can't use Berts transition and vice versa. This would be used for the checkers as well.

I use "Special Values" on the data cards like <Current State> and can use

<Current User (Login Name)> on the card as well. However I can't figure out how to use that information in a task.

Granted I may be over complicating the process but does anyone have any ideas or have done something like this?

Question;

If the manager signs the assembly card, approver and approver date entries can that be used to drive the rest of the files referenced to the assembly? I can't see it.

Thanks the help on this.

Jeff Thomas

Seanic Ocean Systems

• Re: Transition task based on logged in user to write variable to card
          Jeff Thomas

I hate it when I reply to my own questions with the answer!

I make Fred as the only person with access to the Fred Released transition and setup Bert for his.

I would still like some feedback on using Special Values for tasks and conditions if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

• Re: Transition task based on logged in user to write variable to card
              Jon Malack

Jeff,

You could have one transition that both Fred and Bert can perform to approve files that would fill out your variables on the data card per user.

I had the same issue when setting up the workflows for the vault we use. Under the “Actions” tab on the transition you can set the Approval variable to be the full name or initials (in the fly out menu) of the person performing the transition. I opted for initials so it wouldn’t clutter the title block when the print was opened.

The “Approval Date” can be done the same way selecting “date” in the fly out menu.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

-Jon