5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2013 11:18 AM by Tim Webb

EPDM User permissoins

Nayshil Singh

I would like to know how you would handle the following scenario in EPDM:

We have multiple users and multiple projects on the go at the same time (the term project is simply a folder in the vault with the clients name)  A user can be working on more than one project per day.  In one project (let's call it Project A), we can have user "Engineer1" with limited access (For example, no permission to approve drawing).  However, Engineer1 is allowed to approve drawings in a different project.  So, what we have here is Engineer1 changing roles from "engineer" to "manager" based on what project he is working on.  This will create some difficulties in terms of permissions.  We can assign folder level permissoins for Engineer1 but how do we handle other types of permissions(State & Transition) that are project specific? 

• Re: EPDM User permissoins
          Tim Webb

Decrease the controls (permissions) and manage this by process.

1. Don't lock them out, just setup epdm to have a field on the datacard that denotes who needs to approve the document but don't make it so everyone who is NOT that person can't approve.
          2. Then re-train the users to search for their approvals by using a saved search wihch is searching for the varialbe wiht their name in it.
          3. Next, don't use notifications because they aren't granular enough and IMHO, useless in most cases. Work with dashboards or saved searches.
          4. With this approach they can still approve every document but by process they only approve the documents with their name.

I would think, if you trust them to make approvals at all then can't you trust them to only approve the documents with their name on it? You can always audit their approvals by checking the history or run reports on which approvals they have done.

Hope this helps,

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Nayshil Singh

Thanks Tim.  Appreciate the response.  I think your method works provided we can trust the users; and, as you say, if they can be trusted to approve, we can trust them to follow a process.  I had a feeling we may have to bring in a level of trust in order to get this working.  I would love to hear other thoughts on this.  Anyone else out there with a similar needs?  How do you handle it?

Thanks

Nayshil

Michael Dekoning

The only thing I can suggest would be if you have a manageable number of scenarios, like the one you describe above where certain users have a role in one project versus their role in a different project. If that is the case, for each scenario you could have a workflow and then use a folder card variable to determine which workflow the files should be placed in. For example

Project 123 -> workflow 1 (Engineer1 limited access)

Project 124 -> workflow 2 (Engineer1 approval access)

Project 125 -> workflow 1 (Engineer1 limited access)

However, this could quite easily get out of hand if you have many users playing many roles. In most cases, I think Tim's suggestion is a more workable one.

Jeff Thomas

What we have done here is provide users different login names that grant them access to documents in different states. We have Engineers that make drawings and need access to files in the "In Drafting" state so they have to login as drw_fred which gives them write access to files.

Files get approved in a specific state, correct? Give the person a unique login like app_fred that will give him access to the files in that state. You have to trust them that they will only approve files in projects as directed.

As for access to folders in general with different rights ,that would have to be setup as needed by the Admin which could get out of hand like Michael said.

Just my thoughts

Tim Webb

Yep, anytime. Let us know what you arrive at. I have seen the method I proposed work very well with good engineering leads. I just try to avoid the state permissions to "control" the work.

The tighter controls, the more admin has to do.

decreased controls + increased functionality + balanced processes = maximized flexibility

This high level equation can help you manage your workload without creating a welfare system. It is a two way street. If users don't perceive they are trusted, they will behave as though they can't be. Learned this lesson from my teenagers

Anyway, hope it helps.

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com