Bruce Cox

Impossible screw not impossible with SW.

Discussion created by Bruce Cox on Dec 21, 2006
Latest reply on Jan 29, 2007 by Bruce Cox
Thought I'd show you all a pretty I did.

At the bottom of JDMathers excellent tut's page is a picture of a drafted print of what looks like a mixing screw of an extrusion mill. I don't know why it's there but I took it as a puzzle for someone to model... Cause it's tricky.

I finally found time to give it a try. After a few false starts I decided to model the threads with individual surfaces. Which was a leap of faith cause I was doubtful all that would knit.

With SWx variable pitch helix getting the threads was easy. Merging them smoothly was a lot of work but not much trouble. Getting the flats between the threads was real tough. I almost gave up. They have to grow and shrink in width as the variable pitch / variable diameter helix advances.

When all the surfaces were done, I trimmed and knitted. Couldn't believe it formed solid. But it did.

I inserted just the main threads into a new part cause the rebuild time was getting large and there was still a lot of work to be done on the pass through journal.

So if any of you out there are like me, you'll like seeing these pics. I colored it pretty like a Christmas stick for the seasons, wack wack. Hehe. I did a lot of surfacing this year for money. Thanks to DiMonte for explaining surfaces and Paul Salvador for all the examples that show abstract methods I would never figure out. I hope JD puts another puzzle up for next year.

too bad i can't attach files. i don't know if this will work or not.
http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...posible%20Screw%2Ejpg

Outcomes