7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2007 4:31 PM by Bruce Cox

Impossible screw not impossible with SW.

Bruce Cox
      Thought I'd show you all a pretty I did.

At the bottom of JDMathers excellent tut's page is a picture of a drafted print of what looks like a mixing screw of an extrusion mill. I don't know why it's there but I took it as a puzzle for someone to model... Cause it's tricky.

I finally found time to give it a try. After a few false starts I decided to model the threads with individual surfaces. Which was a leap of faith cause I was doubtful all that would knit.

With SWx variable pitch helix getting the threads was easy. Merging them smoothly was a lot of work but not much trouble. Getting the flats between the threads was real tough. I almost gave up. They have to grow and shrink in width as the variable pitch / variable diameter helix advances.

When all the surfaces were done, I trimmed and knitted. Couldn't believe it formed solid. But it did.

I inserted just the main threads into a new part cause the rebuild time was getting large and there was still a lot of work to be done on the pass through journal.

So if any of you out there are like me, you'll like seeing these pics. I colored it pretty like a Christmas stick for the seasons, wack wack. Hehe. I did a lot of surfacing this year for money. Thanks to DiMonte for explaining surfaces and Paul Salvador for all the examples that show abstract methods I would never figure out. I hope JD puts another puzzle up for next year.

too bad i can't attach files. i don't know if this will work or not.
      http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...posible%20Screw%2Ejpg