8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 1:49 AM by Salim Benyoucef

3D scan SolidWorks

Salim Benyoucef

Hello,

I'm using 3D scan of SolidWorks, the issue is that I can't move the part easily, the tilting is too slow ?

How can I resolve this problem that the part can move faster ?

Thank you.

Scan.jpg

• Re: 3D scan SolidWorks

Hi Salim,

This is a factor of your graphics performance and the type of graphics card that you have. How many point cloud points (or # of mesh is your imported data? (you can know this when you do the Mesh Preparation Wizard - in the "simplify" portion of the Wizard.

Regards

Mark

Salim Benyoucef

Thank you Mark,

I have Quadro 4000 for graphics card.

I think for this graphics card is enough, so why it's too slow?! is there any other setting ?

Best Regards

can you tell me how large your point cloud or mesh is?

Part of the issue is that your resultant is not solid but an open surface body with perhaps multiple surface body patches.  Multiple surfaces (i.e. typical of imported parts that don't heal to solid) often present a peformance problem in SW because when the body is not manifold (surfaces) the rendering engine must render both sides of the faces.

Mark

Salim Benyoucef

What did you mean "large mesh is"? ( I'm working by mesh not by cloud).

The part which I'm working with it's medical part as bone, I'm trying to make offset  surfaces of this part for hollowing the part.

Lenny Bucholz

Salim Benyoucef wrote:

What did you mean "large mesh is"? ( I'm working by mesh not by cloud).

The part which I'm working with it's medical part as bone, I'm trying to make offset  surfaces of this part for hollowing the part.

Mark ask you: can you tell me how large (file size) your point cloud or mesh is?

Salim Benyoucef

As I said in my previous message that I didn't understand the meaning of

"how large (file size) your point cloud or mesh is?"

Hi Salim,

I'm taking a look at your file now. I think I know your question/issue now. Once you use Auto-surfacing you get a non-solid because of the errored patches that auto-surface can not create (the red areas in your model.) You need to work on these in Scanto3d to remove them. You can do this by increasing (or in some cases decreasing) the surface detail in the Auto Surface creation dialog. at he default setting, you get 154 surface errors. At a lower setting you get 80 errors.  What I did instead is went back into the Mesh Prep wizard and reduced the size of your mesh by 25%. I then also smoothed it by about 25%. After the surfaces are generated, you will see errored surface patches. The reason for these is when the mesh triangles produce high levels of curvature change, the surface generator has harder time figuring out what to interpolate with these areas.  I then proceeded to use the "edit feature lines" to eliminate errors in the model. The one that is the most effective is to "Relax" existing boundaries (the last button on the right.) Each time you make a change, you need to update the preview to have Scanto3D recalculate the entire mesh. Once you do this, you can see the errors eliminated (or in some time increase :-( ) but it just comes with practice to use these tools to get it to solid model. In the end, you have to have a lot of persistence and patience to do this kind of Reverse Engineering (no matter what product you are using.) Once out of the surface wizard and you've knocked down the number of surface patch errors to a few, you'll have to do some surface repair in SolidWorks using delete face and fill. I would take a really simple mesh and practice with these tools. I'm most successful with inserting new feature lines, moving lines by ends and Relaxing the lines. RE is all about compromise.... On your mesh, I got it down to about 4 errors and then I repaired it with delet face and fill surface in SW.

Oh, and did I mention it helps to have a really fast machine (hi CPU clock speed) and lots of memory to do this kind of thing.

Regards

Mark