9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 4:33 PM by Richard Lasater

Relating sketched entities and dims to an inserted picture

Sid Humphreys

Hopefully the last one for today guys,

I am creating drws that are comprised mostly of inserted jpgs.  I am also having to dimension these jpgs in certain views.  To get the dims to show up, I strategically place little sketched entities hidden in the jpgs so I have something to dim to.  Works great until I have to move the jpg/view.  My sketched entities/dims do not follow my jpg.

How do I relate these items to my jpg please?

Sid

• Re: Relating sketched entities and dims to an inserted picture
          Anna Wood

Not anyway to do that natively in SolidWorks.

Where are your jpg's coming from?  Why aren't you dimensioning in the native application the jpeg's came from.

I think I would be using some type of image editing software to add the dimensions and then resaving as a new jpeg to place the SolidWorks drawing.

Cheers,

Anna

Sid Humphreys

Well Anna, the jpgs are coming from a camera originally.  I crop them in  "Paint".  I am NOT going to draw dimenions in Paint and then resave.  That is nuts.  Image editing software?  And what happens if things change in my drawing, which they inevitably always do.  Go back to my image editing software and draw dimensions again, resave and bring them back in.

Thank you ma'am for your help, but I'll pass on that remedy.

Sid

Anna Wood

Bummer.....  Looks like Glenn's solution will be as close as you can get then.

Might put in an Enhancement Request to be able to link an image file to a view.  I can see that being a big help to a lot of people who need to do something like what you are doing.  Reference this thread in the request.

Cheers,

Anna

Sid Humphreys

Hey Anna,

I really appreciate the input.  I am not a big fan of having to ask the software developer of doing enhancements at my request.  Especially on something I feel should be basic out of the box code.  I mean if they haven't addressed something as simple as this already after countless revs, why should I think me the little ole engineer end user would make a difference?  Like you said, it would probably benefit a large amount of users other than myself, and yet no useful functionality with a command that is already there.  I would think the code writers would be in tune to these boards.  To me Anna it just makes sense to be able to manipulate an imported pic in some ways if not at the very least, associate it to a view.  But then again, I am just a paying customer.

Thanks again Anna.

Sid

Glenn Schroeder

Sid,

In addition to an Enhancement Request, you might also submit it as an Idea (https://forum.solidworks.com/community/general/solidworks_world_2014_and_the_top_ten_list?view=idea).  That way you (and others) can get an feel for how many people would benefit from this functionality.  I agree that it should be possible, but I don't know how often I'd use it.

Sid Humphreys wrote:

I am not a big fan of having to ask the software developer of doing enhancements at my request.  Especially on something I feel should be basic out of the box code.

It doesn't bother me a bit.  If I don't let them know what I want or need, how will they know?

I mean if they haven't addressed something as simple as this already after countless revs, why should I think me the little ole engineer end user would make a difference?

Maybe it just never occurred to them.

Like you said, it would probably benefit a large amount of users other than myself, and yet no useful functionality with a command that is already there.  I would think the code writers would be in tune to these boards.

I think the people at SW do follow this forum, but the more you get the idea out there (Enhancement Request, Idea, etc.) the better chance it has.

To me Anna it just makes sense to be able to manipulate an imported pic in some ways if not at the very least, associate it to a view. 

I agree.
                    Glenn Schroeder

Sid,

I played around with this a little while, and the best I can come up with would be to create an empty drawing view and place all your lines and dimensions in it.  Then at least they would all move together and you could move the picture seperately.  If you've already created the lines and dimensions you can create the empty drawing view, click and drag a selection box over the lines and dimensions you want linked, Ctrl+X, click on the empty drawing view to highlight it, then Ctrl+V.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but it's the best I can do.  I can't figure out how to link an inserted picture to a drawing view.