10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2013 1:07 PM by Rajiv R

Hinge motion in assembly

Torburnu Y

I'm working on a box with 2 hinges. The problem is that the hingesdon't move and aren't fix on the box.

When I change the hinge to flexible, I got errors. I am a beginner of solidworks.

Can any solve this for me.

The assembly in attach.

• Re: Hinge motion in assembly
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Torburnu.

The lid if fully defined so that is the first reason for error. Secondly your hinge assemblies are not properly defined (need more/different mates) so when you set them to flexible them go haywire.

Here are few steps you can try. Remove all mates between box and lid. Add holes to the box and the lid instead of creating assembly features. Set the hinges to flexible. Then using the hole in the lid and the box, add the hinges in the position. Add additional mates as required. If the working is OK only then add the nuts and screws.

I would have modified the assembly for you but yours is a student version file. But I'll still try to make something for you later that might be helpful.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

Rajiv R

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Torburnu.

I think my attachement will help you to accomplish your work. Let me know if you have further quiries.

I have few points to share with  which I feel is simple misunderstandings what you have with solidworks constraints & assembly.

1. Hinge to be flexible in Main assembly (Assem1.1.1) not to be in sub assembly since you have given a hinge mate.
            2. Lid to be constrained only to top portion of hinge (moving plate of hinge when it actually works) so that when the hinge opens the parts connected to that also will open along with that. If you observe your assembly, the lid is constrained with box along the vertical axis where it will not allow the lid to rotate about the hinge axis.
            3. Assembly features which you have created also will not allow your lid to rotate about the hinge axis. You should have created the holes in part mode itself.

I think you have understood few things from this exercise.

Thank you.

Torburnu Y

Hey,

thanks for the reaction.

I have folowed the steps, but I have still problems

Could you send me the file inzip-format

I can't add an attach (only foto-video)

Where is the button to add an attach?

Rajiv R

Hi,

I don't have issues in sending the files but I have worked on Solidworks 2014. I don't think you will be able to open these files and check.

Let me know still if you need the files.

Torburnu Y

In the attach assem2test.zip (added) you can see that the coincident mate is not correct. I have choosen the the top of the hinge. When I choose the bottom of the hinge, then the lid rotates.

Can you solve this problem?

The file ares also welcome

Rajiv R

Hi,

I think the attached video will help you. Pls check.

My advise is, try to avoid using Fix as much as possible. Try to understand that any parts can be constrained by 3 mates and explore in that way.

Thanks.

Rajiv R

Hi,

The problem is with the second hinge. After placing the second hinge you will be able to give only 2 mates. The third mate which we are trying to add to face of hinge and face of lid will over define the assembly since the lid is already been given with 3 mates.

The solution is, don't bring the hinge as assembly into box assembly. Bring the 2 plates of hinges into box assembly seperately and give hinge mate in main assembly and assemble it. This way you can assemble the first hinge and also no need of making the assembly flexible.

If you try to do the same for 2nd hinge you will end up with the same issue what we have been facing since you cant add 3 mates for the 2nd hinge again in this method also. Just selec the 2 plates of hinges and use a linear pattern, you will see what you need.

Thanks