AnsweredAssumed Answered

Large Building & Site Layout Drawings In Solidworks

Question asked by Mark Jones on Nov 28, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 by Mark Jones

Hi All,

We are using Solidworks for our main design tool for developing OEM products of a reasonable size and complexity.

We also have to apply reccomenditations  of our products installed into custom made buildings, involving drainage, electrical/comms conduit, and concrete falls etc.

My question is how do companies/ youguys handle these large assy, WRT performance, as well as developing layout drawings suitable for builders and contractors. We struggle with the performance of SW while developing Layout drawings. Having Hidden Detail, and Section/Cropped Views with heaps of detail is problematic (crashes allot, and is slow).

We use Simplified Models, Configs, Have fast PC's, but still find SW does not handle big ASSY's well.

Most of the information I have seen on the web shows pretty 3D pics, but these are only useful for marketing material. I want to be able to take that 'pretty model', and actually use it for developing proper Layout Drawings sets for the Conctactors/Builders to use on Site..

Plan views are fine, however Elevation cross sections, and cropped sections of elevations really kill SW performance.

2D packages is probally the answer, however I have been fighting the urge to go back to Dumb CAD.

Any tips/links to helpfull stuff would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Outcomes