2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 6:01 PM by Mark Jones

Large Building & Site Layout Drawings In Solidworks

Mark Jones

Hi All,

We are using Solidworks for our main design tool for developing OEM products of a reasonable size and complexity.

We also have to apply reccomenditations  of our products installed into custom made buildings, involving drainage, electrical/comms conduit, and concrete falls etc.

My question is how do companies/ youguys handle these large assy, WRT performance, as well as developing layout drawings suitable for builders and contractors. We struggle with the performance of SW while developing Layout drawings. Having Hidden Detail, and Section/Cropped Views with heaps of detail is problematic (crashes allot, and is slow).

We use Simplified Models, Configs, Have fast PC's, but still find SW does not handle big ASSY's well.

Most of the information I have seen on the web shows pretty 3D pics, but these are only useful for marketing material. I want to be able to take that 'pretty model', and actually use it for developing proper Layout Drawings sets for the Conctactors/Builders to use on Site..

Plan views are fine, however Elevation cross sections, and cropped sections of elevations really kill SW performance.

2D packages is probally the answer, however I have been fighting the urge to go back to Dumb CAD.

Any tips/links to helpfull stuff would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

• Re: Large Building & Site Layout Drawings In Solidworks
          John Sutherland

I've thought about this and concluded that it needs lots of planning.

The benefit I see in SW is that it can confirm that the instruction I gave achieves the result I intended.  Earlier software just implements my instruction, right or wrong.

3D is helpful for showing excavations, battered banks and concrete falls.

SW Drawings is rusted on to heritage concepts of drawing views, but other software can supplement SW to produce paper documents that take advantage of 3D.  Check whether SW Camera views would be helpful in this context!

Question whether you need manufacturing models in site layouts.

The top assembly should have layout sketches or master part to avoid relationships between parts or subs.

Parts and subs should be positioned in the space of their own document, as they will be in the top assy so that they can be inserted as fixed, without any reorientation or mating.

Where mates are required for positioning, they should then be supressed and the bodies fixed in order to avoid evaluating the mates.

Bodies for which mass and centroid are not significant should be created as subs then SpeedPaked.

Pattern seeds should have neither mass nor mates.