7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 12:16 PM by Paul Marsman

Default Mate settings

Ray Howard

Apologies if this is very basic but can you change the default mate in assemblies from anti-aligned to aligned?...

Just to explain fully, in my assembly I have Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. I want to add another Part 1 to the assy and mate it to the first instance of Part 1 in the same location, simply using 3 coincident mates. However the default mates are anti-aligned so I have to flip alignment.Hopefully the picture explains the issue, it's not a biggie but would save some time

• Re: Default Mate settings
          Mike Agan

These icons on left (in Feature Mgr.)Capture.PNG

Ray Howard

Mike, I know about these buttons but is there a way to tell SWX to select "aligned" as the default alignment?.. because it always chooses "anti-aligned"....

thanks for replying so quickly....

Matt Martens

No. It doesn't always automatically select anti-aligned, but I have no idea what drives the software to make the selection it does.

I have heard that if you drag the components to be close to their desired alignment prior to applying the mates, the software does a pretty good job of keeping them close to the alignment you have.

Matt Martens

The double arrow button in your picture will change the alignment also.

Glenn Schroeder

I don't think that's a default setting.  I think SolidWorks will usually (maybe always) use whichever is closest.

Paul Marsman

Ray,

Glenn and Jeremy are correct.  SW picks the closest alignment.  There would be a way to do what you are asking with API (you can specify 1, 2, 3 for closest, aligned, anti-aligned).  But the problem is you would have to use the same parts almost all the time and know which way is aligned and anti-aligned for each part to properly pick the correct setting.

See the image below for some things that may help you when inserting components to assemblies.  The blue block was inserted coincident with the origin.  The green block was inserted just by ctrl+drag the blue block... which keeps that part orientation.  The yellow block was inserted the same way but then i used my RMB > Move with Triad to rotate about X axis 180°.  The red block was then inserted by using the ctrl+drag of the yellow block... again to keep that orientation.  Also, you can RMB and drag a part to rotate it about its DoF right in the graphics area of an assembly... very easy to get close to the orientation you want that way.

orient.png

I noticed you also said that you wanted to insert the Part 1 in the same location with 3 coincident mates.  Not sure if you mean the same location and orientation as in exactly the same spot and orientation.  But for future reference if you are trying to put 2 parts with the origin in the same spot and the front/top/right planes aligned you can just do one mate, you don't need three.  Mate the origins coincident and select the "Align axes" option.

Paul