7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 7:47 PM by Tom Helsley

Dispatch Auto-Check In after updating a variable

Brent Rankin

Hey,

So I have been working on EPDM for a couple months now and have been using Dispatch to help with a few little things.  I am working on a way to simply change the contents of a variable then check the file back into the vault. 

So far I have this:

ECN Number.JPG

Which allows me to check out the files selected, change the variable, but will not check the file back in. I keep getting an error that says: "Error checking in file; The file could not be found."  Everything else seems to work fine if i choose not to check the file back in.

Also I am able to right-click and check the file in manually just fine.  It just doesn't work through Dispatch.

I hope I am just missing something.  Thanks in advance for the help!

• Re: Dispatch Auto-Check In after updating a variable
          Charley Saint

Brent,

What are the contents of your "Check in file" action, it should look like this:

2013-11-26_1322.png

Brent Rankin

Charley,

That is exactly what mine looks like right now.  To add on, I made a separate dispatch for Checking In files only and it works if I "Check Out" a file then use dispatch to specifically check it in right away.  But it fails when I change a variable in the card and then try to use dispatch to check that file in.

Hope that makes sense. It seems as though I have to manually check the files in every time.

Charley Saint

Brent,

What version of EPDM and the dispatch add-in are you running?

2013-11-26_1358.png

I ran into an issue with internal references a few months ago with 2014. Do you get the same issue running on just one part file (not an assembly, references matter) as you do with an assembly or a multi-selection?

Brent Rankin

Charley,

I am using Dispatch-2013030815.  I have been only using it for a solidworks drawing file, maybe the reference to the part file is what is messing it up.  This program will only be used for SLDDRWs and DWGs. I can try it on a DWG, since that is a single non-referenced file.

And it turns out that it works on 1, and multiple DWGs and it worked flawlessly!  So that brings up 2 questions.  The slddrw's that I am working on have a relation outside of the vault (it won't be like this in reality, just testing right now); is that the cause of the files not checking back in?  And/Or is it not working because these drawing simply have references?

I bring in a file and its drawing together to see if that will make a difference and get back to you soon.

Tom Helsley

Hey Charlie,  good tip!

Here we are a few years later, and I'm running into this problem with missing references preventing dispatch from checking in a file.  I am seeing this for in-context references, and for references to .cwr (simulation result) files.

It seems that there are three issues here that SolidWorks should address to avoid this problem:

• Missing references are blocking a dispatch script when other PDM actions don't block it.
                        • Dispatch error message doesn't specify what reference is missing.  The message makes users think that the file they are working with cannot be found - and that is really confusing/misleading.
                        • Missing references don't appear in the contains tab.  If the first two problems are addressed, then maybe this one isn't a big deal.

Is anyone aware of these problems being reported?  Are there any SPRs or enhancement requests for them?