5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 2:52 PM by Jared Conway

Loading a torus

Neil MacDonald

Hi all,

I am designing a torus based structure and want to laod it with a radial load diametrically opposite the reaction force. Then re-run with the loading in four directions.

How do I apply the loads and reactions to the inside of the curved surface of the torus?

My initial runs, I generated a flat surface on the inside of the ring, extruded into the ring, and applied the loads to that surface. I am not convinced that this is accurate but I can't see a way of applying the loading to that surface.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

• Re: Loading a torus
          Jared Conway

A picture is worth a million words here. I'm not totally following what you are trying to do.

Also, could you elaborate on why you think it wasn't correct/accurate?

In solidworks simulation it is a what you see is what you get software. You apply forces/loads to faces in most cases. and you use other geometry to drive the direction. there isn't much more to it.

You may want to explain more about what the force is to come up with a better way to apply it.

Neil MacDonald

Jared,

Here is an image of the basic torus including the additional surfaces I added to apply the loading.

Torus image.PNG

The torus is ideally loaded using a loop of rope or similar around the ring at points 1-4. An initial run with the loading at points 1 & 3 would be advantagious. As the loading has been applied to the flat surfaces, rather than surrounding the ring, like a rope would, be a larger concentration of the loading on the inner face. Where as a rope would compress around the ring, leading to a much different distribution of stress at these points. This would probably alter the results quite significantly.

Hope this makes my issue a little clearer.

Cheers,
              Neil

Jared Conway

The true loading probably is only shown by using contact between a rope shaped component and your ring.

For now, use a split line to split the face where the rope would touch it.

Neil MacDonald

Hi there, Jared.

I got the split line to work and the results have not changed as much as expected. I attempted to simulate the rope contact, using a steel eye but could not the correct contact between the components, then crashed the solver, so I have given up on that for the moment.

Thanks for the help.

Neil

Jared Conway

solver actually crashed or it failed to complete? if you were using contact, i could see the latter happening, would really need to spend time to make sure things are setup in a stable manner. if you wanted someone to take a deeper look at this, feel free to email it to me at jared@hawkridgesys.com. we could either build an education program around it or set it up and solve it for you or both. or if you just need a second opinoin, we can do that as well.