2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 3:18 PM by Sloan Anderson

Naming Question in Feature Tree...

Sloan Anderson

Hi all,

This is one of those questions I've been meaning to ask for a long time, but it's never been *quite* annoying enough to put in the effort, ha. Alas, curiosity got the best of me:

I like to be very "neat" while modeling, and tend to name everything as I go pretty consistently. Yet, when working on a part, and doing any boolean feature that creates a new solid body as an output (i.e., a Combine operation to create a custom void in the interior of a previously solid body), the newly output body is automatically named "Combine 1" 2, etc. Of course, because the feature tree retains the previous state-- let's say it was called, "Chasis_Rt"-- now if I go to rename the new part, it won't allow the same name because it's technically already in existence, in an earlier state of the feature tree. Of course, I've always just ammended the name to something like, "Chasis_Rt-01" etc., but if I want the part to have the original name I'd chosen at the end of the modeling process, it seems the only way to do that is to go back in time and rename the original part?

I'm curious if there's a setting somewhere in Preferences or a way around this? Or is this yet another accepted quirk of the SolidWorks universe? I come from a sub-d modeling background, so this software/interface has taken some getting used to!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Sloan

• Re: Naming Question in Feature Tree...
          Paul Marsman

Sloan,

You can't change that when doing combines or splits.  See Mark Biasotti's response below from here: https://forum.solidworks.com/ideas/2700#comment-7621

"...In SW, bodies do now retain there original names in the case of addition features that are added to the body like extrudes, cuts, fillets etc. what version of SW are you on? There is the exception of when there is ambiguity like when a body is combined or split. In those cases there is no way that SW can determine what the name should be since it (body) is being  branched or combined..."
            • Re: Naming Question in Feature Tree...
              Sloan Anderson

Thanks, Paul. I had a suscpicion that might be the case, looks like I'll just have to get used to using serialized names up until the part is fully finished, and then provide the desired final name. I like to do a lot of multi-body / in-context modeling and it's nice just to be able to do a Save Bodies and have all names line up nicely as exported parts in a new assembly.