3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 12:44 PM by Jared Conway

Multicore and/or multiprocessor for Simulation 2012 64bits

John Doe

Hello,

Someone at my company works with Simulation 2012 and we wants a little bit more when, in his words, analizes mecanically finite elements. I have no knowledge or know how Simulation 2012 works exactly so I dont know what he does to be exact. For him it is too slow so he wants it to be faster. He has a great i7 processor, 16GB of RAM and a SSD, basically the works. Im not sure any other way to boost performance so I mentioned there are multiprocessor solutions but he asked me if Solidworks Simulation 2012 really took advantage of that.

That is what brings me here. We are looking at a i7 with 6 cores but maybe something else in a dual processor setup with x cores works better.

What is best for Solidworks Simulation 2012 64bits?

Thanks

• Re: Multicore and/or multiprocessor for Simulation 2012 64bits
          Richard Bremmer

Usually I wouldn't reply to a Jon Doe, but here goes.

See this thread:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/63854

You will see clockspeed is most important, dual CPU will not make a simulation run much faster. Well actually it will make simulation run faster, but you will probably choose a lower clockspeed, which makes dual CPU a bad choice. The sweet spot is probably @ six cores. It might also be the way the study is setup i.e. try to avoid solid mesh and try different solvers to see which one is best for the simulation type you run.

John Doe

Thank you for replying Richard There are Xeons with more cores. Are these better or are i7s even better? You say that the most important thing is clockspeed so Xeons are not on par with i7s in that level. Would watercooling help this out? Thank you again Richard and I will change my name

Jared Conway

clockspeed is key (water cooling would allow you to overclock and get more clockspeed likely)

ssd is key

keeping your problem in ram is key

but in the long run, setting up the problem effectively is the best way to get good solve time. i recently worked with a customer that had 9hr solve times, we got it down to 2hrs with similar accuracy just by changing the way that they setup the problem. until then, they were just throwing hardware at the problem. jared@hawkridgesys.com if you're interested in looking into this option.

note regarding cores, at some point the number of cores vs solve time flattens out. i think around 6-8. so unless those are fast cores, i'd still go for lower cores higher clockspeed. and remember, no hyperthreading.