3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2006 8:43 PM by Peter Gillespie

Deleting (removing) keyboard shortcuts

Max Crittenden
      Some time ago I set up the keyboard shortcut alt-L for "insertmate".  Some time later, I realized that, insketches, I can't use the standard shortcut alt-L to make two linescollinear, because I've reassigned that shortcut.  So I wrotea new shortcut, shift-L, for "insert mate", and deleted(or removed) the alt-L shortcut.  But in every new session ofSolidworks, both shortcuts for "insert mate" show up, andalt-L doesn't work for collinear relations ... unless I re-removethe custom shortcut, and then only for the remainder of thatsession.

How do I remove a custom keyboard shortcut and KEEP it removed? TIA ...
        • Deleting (removing) keyboard shortcuts
          Peter Gillespie
          What version are you running? I am not sure when they switched, but in 2004 there is a .cus file that stores that info, and in 2006 it is in the registry.

I had somewhat of a similar problem because I didn't have write access to the .cus file. Somehow I am guessing that's not your problem though.
              Max Crittenden
              I'm running 2006 SP4.1, so apparently it's not the .cus file. Never heard of a .cus file, but it sounds appropriate since Ispend much of my time cussing at Solidworks.

So if it's in the registry, how do I deal with it?  What's aregistry?
                  Peter Gillespie
                  I'm not going to be able to give you specifics about how to go about fixing this, since I haven't dealt with it in the registry (just the .cus file). And if you don't know about the registry, you probably should wait until someone can give you specific steps to follow. In the meanwhile, I will try to get as far as I can.

Other pertinent questions:
                  do you have administrator priviledges?
                  If you have an IT guy, can he check your write priviledges for the solidworks registry entry?
                  Can you successfully change other keys in a similar manner that you want to do with alt-L? For example, see if you can set alt-F1 to access help, exit, start a new session, and see if it is still applied.

As for what is a registry...that's a microsoft invention. In place of .ini files for each of your programs, many programs will store the same type of information to one master "ini" file, which is the registry. But playing with the registry can cause serious problems if you change something you shouldn't.