3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 8:17 AM by Charles Espinola

Is any one manufacturing CNC component through a print command.

Charles Espinola

Hello,

With the all the 3D printing out there, I'm curious if anyone if manufacturing CNC'd part with a print command?

Chuck

• Re: Is any one manufacturing CNC component through a print command.
          Anna Wood

CNC and 3D printing are two different manufacturing methods in many people's eyes.  So your question is a bit confusing to me.

Can you give a little more insight into what you are asking?

Also which print command?   File > Print or File > Print3D

Cheers,

Anna

Bogdan Arefta

I think there is available laser sintering of metal powders (easy fusing metals such as bronze or similar).

However if you talk about generating CNC code as easy as printing I'm afraid there's more to that than just a print command from SolidWorks

You've got to remember that machines are quite different from one to another (principle of material removal, power, number of axes, speed etc.) not to mention the selections of tools they use.

There are software packages who based on libraries of known machines, materials and tools can generate CNC code (edgeCAM spring to mind!?).

But ultimately a good machinist will never be replaced by software, IMHO. Well - not soon anyway.

Cheers,

B. A.

Charles Espinola

Your point is understood, but today we have CAM software that will read a part and tool library to automatically select tools and generate tool paths. I understand a post processor is required to define specific machine code requirements.

The question really is, does any one use a combination of tools to to push a button and generate NC code. I can see the need for the tool paths to be check prior to crashing a machine, but I'm looking for maximum automation for NC programming of simple parts.

Better, faster, cheaper