5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 6:29 PM by Wayne Matus

Static, Non-CAD files; To Vault or not to Vault?

Michael Dekoning

My manager has asked us if we can put "training" videos in our vault. Of course, we said that EPDM could handle the files. My question to other forum dwellers is whether we should. Part of me says, "Sure why not?" Part of me says it's a waste to vault files that have no metadata, will not have versions and could easily be accessed through a network share or other means. I know there are always special circumstances, but in general how do you feel about this? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mike

CEPA

EPDM 2012

• Re: Static, Non-CAD files; To Vault or not to Vault?
          Jeff Sweeney

What is it wasting if you put them in the vault?

Anna Wood

I am thinking of the nice metadata that could be added to a data card so your people could search for and find the appropriate video for their training needs.  Organizing into a sensible folder structure could be an advantage as well.

Cheers,

Anna

Tim Webb

Hi Michael,

I don't think it is a waste at all. For the search capabilities alone like Anna said, its meaningful but finding the exact training video required for the job is not only critical for operations but should be a requirement if videos are in your ISO procedures.

Another justification, building that knowledgebase that "you" manage rather than youtube or IT or whoever. One company I worked with had training docs on a shared server where IT group policy was always changing the UNS folder where the docs lived so employees who needed the data could never reliably find it!

Here was my solution: manage the training docs in some place where a group responsible for them manages them in their process then share the training vids to a read-only folder for each viewer group that needs them and easily do that in whatever form they need it.

On the back office side: structure the folders the videos are in with whatever structure works for your training department, such as:

c:\xyzvault\training department\training videos\

Workflow for these have only a few states

1. Initiated
              2. Under Editing
              3. Pending Approval
              4. Released (only state training videos are visible outside training dept)

Then on the front lines, by process the training department shares the videos to a read-only folder when they release them:

• User group 1 - Engineering > videos shared to a folder called c:\xyzvault\engineering\training videos\
              • User group 2 - Marketing > videos shared to a folder called c:\xyzvault\marketing\marketing videos\
              • User group 3 - Manufacturing > videos shared to a folder called c:\xyzvault\manufacturing\assembly videos\
              • etc.

I've done this for various reasons but the top reasons I do this:

1. Back office structuring and restructuring never affects the front lines. Move the videos around to suit your needs, the front lines always work from a shadow copy.
              2. The system can notify individual groups when their training videos are updated.
              3. The system always redirects users back into the system as a knowledgebase.
              4. Users never get a dead link because you manage it.
              5. Easily add a "Training Videos" tab to your datacard, then add a button with a hyperlink to each department's training videos folder "conisio://xyzvault/explore?projectid=xxx&documentid=xxxx&objecttype=1"

Tight!

Tim CEPA

Wayne Matus

If you have enough client licenses to handle everyone, then why not. You can setup a cold storage scheme that would delete old versions in the folder they are stored in. As others stated, you have the searching capabilities.