6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 8:21 PM by Jerry Steiger

Forming a Surface using bodies

Anthony Begins

Hello,

So I'm not well-versed on using surfaces so I will discuss this to the best of my ability.

I am trying form the surface of an object (oblong/domed) of which we picked points from using a CNC machine.

This was done using a grid pattern so each point is exactly on a 1 inch grid in x and y, and in z on the various height it would range.

We however, don't have just points, since this was done using a ball cutter. So the points were then used to create a series of "balls" in the CAD file, with each "ball" touching the tangent edge of the part we measured, representing the ball cutter on the CNC machine.

I was going to create sketches on planes which intersect the balls, but since the balls would be touching the tangent edge of the surface, it would be near impossible to choose the correct location of the plane for that tangent.

My question now becomes, is it possible to create a surface in which touches all of these "ball" solid bodies at tangent points to create our domed surface?

Thank you for your time in advance,

~Anthony

• Re: Forming a Surface using bodies
          J. Mather

Anthony Begins wrote:

....it would be near impossible to choose the correct location of the plane for that tangent.

~Anthony

You should be able to create an axis through the center of each sphere that pierces the surface at perpendicular to pierce point.

Can you attach the file (or a simplified version if proprietary) here?

Carl Gauger

Anthony:  I'm not sure I have understoood precisely what you are trying to do.  Will the surface be tangent to the "bottom" of these spheres?

Here's an approach you might try if you have the patience.  There are 73 imported bodies.  You can do feature recognition and create 73 revolves based on hemispheric sketches.  You could create splines through the centers of theses sketches, loft or sweep the splines into a surface, and then offset that surface the radius of the spheres.  I don't have time to try it, but if you don't figure out a better way, it might work.

If that's what you are trying to do, anyway.  Some clarification might help.

Jesse Robbers

This can be a start. It's not perfect, but is close being the balls protrude through the surface a bit and the curvature or tangency isn't great but I'm not putting much time into it as it's not my project or job on a Saturday afternoon.

Anthony Begins

Thank you for the help everyone.

I appreciate your help Jesse. I understand that it's not your job on a Saturday , but what you gave me is a great start and after seeing what you have done, should give me an idea on where to go from here.

To answer the other questions, the tangent edge wouldn't be the bottom of the spheres as the inner edges of the spheres would be touching as you work further out on the surface.

The perpendicular axis method has worked for me in several attempts at a similar job so I think between all of the advice I have gotten I should be able to get what I need.

Thanks!

~Anthony

Jerry Steiger

Anthony,

Depending on the shape of your part (I didn't open it), you might want to make a surface based on the centers of the spheres, then offset that surface by the radius of the spheres.

Jerry S.