6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 6:01 PM by Jerry Steiger

Advantages of SWx over Creo

Thameem Ansari

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, how SolidWorks is advanced over Creo in importing and exporting files and also other important advantages of SolidWorks.

Will be nice to hear the actual advantages clearly.

Thameem Ansari

• Re: Advantages of SWx over Creo
          Jerry Steiger

Thameem,

I would be interested in hearing about the advantages of Creo as well, since we are going to be switching to Creo in the next couple of months.

You might want to ask this question in the General forum as well.

Jerry S.

Thameem Ansari

Jerry,

Why you want to change to creo? What are the problems you facing in SolidWorks?

See the creo forums to see about the features in it.

Jerry Steiger

Thameem,

I don't particularly want to change to Creo, but my boss has decided that it is the right thing to do and I don't have any really good arguments to dissuade him. We have recently merged with another division in New Zealand and they run Creo Parametric, as do most of the other divisions. Our ODM partners also run Pro/E, so it seems like a good idea for us to make the switch.

Jerry S.

Richard Wagenaar

We are also evaluating different options.

Concerning Creo (direct) vs Solidworks here are some links

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Solidworks-vs-Creo-Comparison-1542977.S.243224944

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/117860/en/5632B_Creo_WhatsNew_TS_EN.pdf

I tested Creo, Ironcad, Kubotek, Spaceclaim, Solidedge and Autodesk Fusion.

In my opinion Solid Edge is the best as you can import any geometry

and add constraints and dimensions afterwards if needed.

Only Kubotek could also do this but their user interface

feels like end 80' and there is not as much intelligence

in the program when editing non history parts.

You can also stretch in a usefull way directly on 3D geometry

in Solid Edge.

When you edit a hole pattern it automatically finds the pitch

and allows you to change the non history geometry, both pitch

and diameter.

The intelligence is in the software instead of the geometry.

The non history approach would work for machinedesign and former

Autocad users but I think it would not work as good for molds and plastics.

SolidEdge also has history based modelling so you could do

plastics and molds there.

Spaceclaim has a good editor but just like Creo and Fusion it does not

allow you to add constraints and driving dimensions in non history parts

and this is an important disadvantage in non history modellers.

But even without being able to make dead geometry parametric users

are still making performance improvement when compared to history

feature based, it depends on the type of work. Development and doing

many different designs with few time to lose would be better without

history.

Jerry,  Please let us know what you think of Creo, I guess you will

first hate it before you like it. Are you switching to Creo direct? 

I think it is better to wait what Solidworks direct modelling will bring before

switching to another direct modeler at this moment, but what I heard is that it

did have some delay again. It would suprise me if Solidworks would ever

catch up with SolidEdge in direct modeling

Kelvin Lamport

Check out some of the Creo forums to see what users are complaining about.

J. Mather

Are you going to be using Creo Direct for the importing or are you using Creo Parametric?

I don't know why one would be any different than the other for exporting.