6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2013 8:26 PM by Jerry Steiger

Surface with draft

Christian Chu

I need advice - should I build a surface model with draft or wait until converting to solid model and add draft?

Thanks

• Re: Surface with draft
          Lenny Bucholz

All depends on what you're doing??????????????

Yes, No, Maybe is my final answer......

what are you making? then we can answer better. or a pic and a discription.

Christian Chu

I'm doing the plastic design and want the curve as smooth as it can

Lenny Bucholz

Chris c wrote:

I'm doing the plastic design and want the curve as smooth as it can

So draft just on this one curve or all over the part?

does this curve create then over all shape of the part or is it just a detail?

If it creates the shape the yes make with draft at the beginning if not apply draft at the end or neer the end of the finished part.

as I said earlier "YES,NO, MAYBE" since I don't really know what your part looks like it is hard to say when, where and why you would draft in surface, extrude solid or apply it.

Anna Wood

Chris,

It all depends.....  You want to think in terms of the steel for the mold.  Partings lines, shut offs, steel to steel mating surfaces between core and cavity.  Draft for the grain/surface finish on the part.   All kinds of considerations for adding draft and designing a plastic part for molding.  Adding draft at the end may not get you what you want or need.

Cheers,

Anna

Alin Vargatu

In most cases, adding draft at the end will be next to impossible (especially if you have fillets or other type of rounds).

Jerry Steiger

Chris,

Although I agree with Lenny and Anna that "it all depends", I also agree with Alin that, if you are building a surface model to start with, adding draft later is going to be very difficult. I suspect that you will be much better off building the original surface with the appropriate draft. I usually use "helper surfaces" at the parting line(s) with the correct draft that I make my final surface tangent to.

Jerry S.