9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 8:36 PM by Jason Owens

How to Change a Category

Jason Owens

Greetings. Hopefully there is a way to do this other than deleting files and rechecking them in.

Essentially, I am new to the PDM world. We are trying to set up appropriate workflows based on our book of business, and are learning as we go on how to control files folders and other properties.

As a result, some categories are not what I would have them be for eas of access and workflow properties. Does anyone know if there is a method of getting a category changed without deleting the historical data of files?

I look forward to all of the answers this forum will produce!

• Re: How to Change a Category
          Jeff Sweeney

As far as I can tell, a document's category is one of the few things about a document that you cannot change.

Don't forget you can change a file's workflow with a workflow link...regardless of a document's category.

Jason Owens

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I have been able to do a workflow link for some of the files that are in incorrect states, but was hoping I could modify the Categories as well.  If anything comes to mind, let me know...even if this means going in through the SQL side of things.

Thanks,

JO

Jeff Sweeney

You could always change it through SQL, but SW never recommends modifying the database directly.

<GettingOnSoapBox>I am not that big of a fan of categories anymore. I used to use them all the time. Honestly though, I don't much of an advantage. I suppose they can help you sort files into workflows if the logic is very complex, but workflow properties do the same thing, you can't search on workflows, all you can do is sort by them in an explorer view. ...and the fact that you cannot remove the "Category" column from my explorer view is beyond me....</GettingOnSoapBox>

In short, I wouldn't spend much time worring about it.

Arto Kvick

I also used to use Categories to drive files to workflows... but it's too limiting. I think that NOTHING should be "carved in stone"... Therefore we have one Category "-" and manage the workflows etc. with flexible rules.

Tim Read

I believe there is a balance to be made between using one Category "-" and trying to clasify every file with a Catergory...

One example:

If you use categories to define 'types' of files and not 'classifications' of things... CAD Documents, Office Documents, Images, etc

Then you can simplfy your rules in the Workflows (assuming you have multiple workflows for CAD documents) by using the "CAD Documents" category instead of having to use "OR" filepath %.sld%, filepath %.dwg, etc.

Jason Owens

Thanks for all of your input. I can see both sides of the story.  I was trying to use categories to direct files into correct workflows...seemed easier at first, but now, I see that it is 'irreversable'. I was trying to use this method at top level too though...I.E.- Categories stated as ECO, DCO, Office Only, Marketing...etc...

I see that now the only way to fix this is get it right the first time, otherwise, against most opinions, fix through SQL.

Pete Yodis

Arto,

Could you mention more about the "flexible rules" on the workflows?  Would this be setting up the same conditions that would have been set on the categories, but only on the properties for the workfow?  I am still configuring our vault and thinking about our setup.  If using workflow properties can do the same thing as creating categories first and then referencing them in workflows, then I am all for eliminating the downside potential of never being able to delete a category or easily change a document to a different one, once its entered that category.

Pete Yodis

I have answered my own question.  I deleted all categories except the "-" for the catch all.  I moved all the rules to the properties for the workflows.  Its working.

What is the point of Categories then, if it can all be accomplished with "flexible rules" on the workflows?  Am I missing another use of categories?

Jason Owens

Pete,

I think I kind of asked the same question at first (when first setting up the PDM)...but because I had already 'married' some categories with files, I have kept using them. I am of the opinion, that the categories can help me control specific file types, and still be able to send the files to a workflow that controls many different categories.  Then I use search cards to easily pull things up via category.

Probably not the best answer, but I am doing my best to believe that most of the features can serve good purpose.  So if any others out there have better answers, please...share.