4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2007 1:47 PM by Designer Designer

offsetting splines

heidi kitchin
      hi everyone...new to forum and hopefully someone can help meout!

i received an IGES file that contains a series of splines thatcreate a surface. i opened the 3d sketch to edit and assumed icould just offset the splines to create a new surface but theoffset icon is off. i already tried just offsetting the surfaces,but it had gaps and wasn't happy w/ the results.

any suggestions on offsetting the splines in a 3dsketch?
        • offsetting splines
          Doug Kuhn
          as far as i know, you can't offset the 3d sketch. are you trying to create a solid from an iges file. you might be better off creating surfaces by selecting the lines for the edges and using fill.
          i always delete the surfaces that come in, and put in my own. that way i know there are no gaps.
            • offsetting splines
              heidi kitchin
              yes, i want to create a solid from an iges but i'm not sure whatyou mean about selecting the lines and using fill?

i'll go look in help & see if i can answer my own question inthe meantime...

and thank you for the help, hope to hear back
            • offsetting splines
              Doug Kuhn
              If you start your sketch then select the spline you should be able to offset it. i don't believe this can be done in 3d sketches though. which means you have to create planes.
              the other simple thing to do is create a surface on those sketches and if you need to offset those, just use the offset surface feature. once your all done with your surfaces you can attempt to create a solid either using knit or fill surface
              • offsetting splines
                Designer Designer
                Hi Heidi....

Could you share your file to this forum so we can try it.