2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 4:50 PM by Dan Hofstetter

Service goals vs. user-defined goals

Dan Hofstetter

I was told once that there are internal goals that Flow Simulation uses to determine if a calculation has converged or not, and that these can't be controlled by the user. 

While messing around with the API, I came across "Service Goals" and think these may be those internal goals that I was told about. 

The following Service Goals were listed for a study:

dm/m

Calculate_inc time/NC_Fluid

Serv Press

Serv Temp

Serv Heatf

Serv Mflow

Serv MassFract0

Serv MassFract1

Serv MassFract2

Serv MassFract3

Serv MassFract4

Does anyone know if these are actually being used internally for convergence?  If so, is there any point to defining Global Goals for Pressure and Temperature?  What about volume fraction of each fluid component?  If the mass fraction of each is already being monitored, it seems redundant.

• Re: Service goals vs. user-defined goals
          Jared Conway

i'd get with your reseller and have them check with the developers on this one.

if you wanted to test yourself, why not run a problem and compare those output the values and compare them?

my gut feeling is that these aren't them because I don't think that the values that are monitored are things like pressures and temperatures, i think they are calculation residuales and some other stuff. but i don't remember the details.

• Re: Service goals vs. user-defined goals
              Dan Hofstetter

Great idea - thanks!  I ran a problem and added the available goals for comparison, here's what I found:

ServPress = GGAvStaticPressure

ServTemp = GGAvTemperature(Fluid)

ServHeatf = most likely GGAvHeatFlux (I was running an adiabatic simulation, so the values were all zero)

ServMflow = GGMassFlowRate

ServMassFrac0 = GGAvMassFractionofAir (0 = first fluid or Air in my case, 1 = second fluid, etc...)

The ones I am not sure about are 'dm/m' and 'Calculate_inctime/NC_Fluid'.

At any rate, I don't know if it is really adding much fluff to the .FLD file to record the values of these if you add them to the simulation.  If they are of interest to you, it is worth adding them to the simulation since the service goals aren't easy to see without writing code to access the values.