8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 8:37 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Setting 'Document Font' within the Drawing Template

Matt Richardson

I've created my own Drawing Template that I want to use going forward. I set it up and made all of the Annotations and Dimensions as to what I wanted them.

When I've then saved the Drawing as a Drawing Template and gone to use it, it reverts back to the default leaders, text and styles.

Is there a way to set the Drawing Template that I've created to have all the same styles, fonts and leaders whenever I create a drawing?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Setting 'Document Font' within the Drawing Template
          Glenn Schroeder

If you made your changes at Tools > Options > Document Properties, saved as Drawing Template (.drwdot), and you're using this template for new drawings, the changes should be there.  Are you sure you're using this newly saved drawing template for new documents?  Make sure it's saved at the location you have selected for Document Templates at Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations.

Matt Richardson

Unfortunately it still doesn't seem to be working. I've had to save all the style changes to an external 'standards' file and then load it up everytime I create a new drawing.

I'm changing all the fonts and leaders through the Document Properties tab in Options, but they don't seem to load up (or save) when creating the template.

Thanks,

C. Manikandan

Hi Matt,

Try these things too,

1. Open a plain drawing document and go to tools>options>Document properties>make your changes>save as drawing template.

2.And check that document in the templates folder in addition with default template. If it is there then no problem to get it.

3.If you need it in some other location just give file location in system options>file location>document templates >add

4. For use the particular template choose advance in the intial window.

Untitled.png

2.png

Now you can get your new templates as above.

Hope this will help you.

Matt Richardson

I'm still struggling with getting my prefered fonts and leaders to show the way I want. I've read up a bit more on it, but I'm still stumped as to why it's not working.

I've created a sheet format which has the title block on that I'm happy with. I've also created a drawing template, but I can't seem to get the two to 'merge' or use each other.

Whenever I go to open the Sheet Format that I've created it reverts back to the default font and leader settings.

When I do save the drawing template which has the fonts and styles that I want, I then can't seem to get these to appear on my sheet format.

When creating the sheet format I've gone onto the Document Properties and changed everything, but when saving it, it's still coming up with the default text and leaders etc.

Thanks,

Glenn Schroeder

Matt,

There's got to be something wrong with your procedures saving sheet templates and drawing templates.  When you save a drawing template then new drawings using this template will use the sheet format that was active when the drawing template was saved.  Later changes to the sheet format will not be reflected in the drawing template until you open a new drawing, right-click on the sheet, choose Properties, re-load the sheet format, and then re-save the drawing template.

Tp start from the beginning, open a new drawing and make the changes you want at Tools > Options > Document Properties.  Next right-click on the drawing sheet, choose "Edit sheet format" from the drop-down, and make your changes there.  Exit the edit sheet format function.  Go to File > Save sheet format.  Save it there with a new name or over-ride the existing one.  After doing this, go to Save as... Drawing Template.  Again, save under a new name or over-ride the existing one.

Next, make sure you saved both of these files in the location specified at Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations.

Now, if you did all that, then the next time you start a new drawing with this drawing template all your changes should be there.

There is more detailed information in this discussion if you'd like to take a look:  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/57204.

Let me know if this helps, or if you're still having problems.