2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2013 6:07 AM by Roy Hunter

Drawing Template Problem in EPDM (IPS & not MMGS)

Roy Hunter

We have recently introduced EPDM on our site. I am having an issue with my drawing template in EPDM 2013, Windows 7. Any ideas welcome. Our VAR has helpfuly suggested not putting the drawing template from the vault!!

I have added our three templates to our Vault.

When I start SW, the system then creates Part, Drawing & Assembly copies in a local folder. As far as I can determine there is no way around this. For this reason after much head scratching I called the templates folder DO NOT USE (TEMPLATES) to try and push our guys away from using these templates files (They do not pick up the datacards and hence serial numbers)

The part and assy templates in the Vault work fine. The drawing template was created with units MMGS. When I create a SW drawing using the system created template (drawing.drwdot) it remains MMGS. However when I use the vaulted template (Allied Drawing Template.slddrw) the units are set to IPS. This is a bit of a pain as we always use metric. I have pretty much exhausted everything I can think of. Anyone else encountered this problem or have a solution? I have attached some screen dumps.

Note: I found that if I added the drawing template through the Template tab in the admin (see admin template screen dump 2), I can get it to come through in MMGS but I have been unsuccessful in getting the drawing filename to match the part filename when using this method. Our drawing numbers match our part numbers using $prpsheet.

• Re: Drawing Template Problem in EPDM (IPS & not MMGS)
          Jennifer Bahnsen

There are a couple of things going on.  The part.prtdot, assembly.asmdot, and drawing.drwdot templates are getting added to your DO NOT USE (TEMPLATES) because that is the only template folder location you have listed in your System Options and SolidWorks has to have access to some template files so it adds the default ones.  If you add another folder on your network (not in the vault) with some SW template files in them and add that location to your system options, they won't be added to your vault.  You can call that folder DO NOT USE if you like but there has to be at least one folder listed in the Drawing Templates that has actual template files..

As far as the EPDM drawing template is concerned, you need to use a template variable for the part number in the file name (in admin template screen dump 2).  You don't have anything set up to copy the part number to the drawing file name. 

Jennifer Bahnsen

EPDM Drawing Template.png

• Re: Drawing Template Problem in EPDM (IPS & not MMGS)
              Roy Hunter

Thanks for the quick response Jennifer.

I had pretty much tried all you suggested with the help of my VAR with no success before posting. At least I now understand why the templates are being created. This is not too big an issue except if my Engineers use any of these templates it bypasses filling in the datacards. Your point about needing the template variable is where my problem lies. I have established that I need something in here to get my template to work in metric (MMGS), I just don't know what to put in here. If my part has the serial number 00000001, your suggestion gives me the next serial number 00000002 for the drawing. I need my drawing to take the same number as the part serial number. If I don't put the template file in at all, the drawing works fine except it is in inches (IPS).admin template screen dump 3.JPG