AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simulating a ramp?

Question asked by Mildred Mattice on Nov 7, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 11, 2013 by Jared Conway

For example, I would like to simulate the rectangular block traveling at 1 m/s (in the direction towards the triangular block, parallel with the bottom plate) and hitting the stationary triangular block.

Capture.PNG

What is expected to happen:

The rectangular block should hit the triangular block, and be deflected somewhat.

What I want to measure:

The stress on the wall of the triangular block. I want to make this block hollow, and would like to run simulations to see just how thin I can make the walls/supports before such an event results in a failure.

Questions:

1) How do I set the mass of the rectangular block? For example, I want the block to be 1kg with an impact footprint of 1cm x 1cm. Do I do m = pV, and just calculate for the depth of the block, or is there an easy way to just set the mass for this part?

2) How would I set this simulation up? I tried non-linear dynamic, but the rectangular block does not "deflect"; it stays in its plane (despite me not putting any displacement boundary conditions)... it just keeps entering the triangular block, without any deflection.

Settings:

-No penetration between the inclined surface of the triangular block, and the surface closest to that block on the rectangular block, as well as the bottom of the rectangular block.

-0mm translation normal to the bottom plate of the triangular plate (to fix it in the y-direction)

-0mm translation in the direction of the bottom plate of the triangular plate (to fix it in the x-direction)

-roller slider on one of the sides of the triangular plate (to fix it in the z-direction, but allow for deformations)

-Velocity of 1 m/s on the rectangular block, heading towards the triangular block

-Meshing on lowest, draft quality for quick calculations as a test

3.PNG

But the results:

4.PNG

And:

5.PNG

Any ideas?

Outcomes