5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 1:45 PM by Robin Dejager

Issue with meshing similar parts

Robin Dejager

I have run into an issue that I cannot seem to solve. I am trying to do a static stress analysis on a formed sheetmetal part. I have 2 mirrored c-channels, and one is meshing just fine, the other meshes as a flat part. I was having issues with the linked mirrored part not mirroring as a sheetmetal part, so I simply saved a copy of the part and reversed all the directions, etc. I am rather new to simulation on SWX, but I have done similar analysis before withoug having this issue. I need to do a simulation with these parts in an assembly, but obviously I need to have the individual parts meshing correctly before that. I have tried varying the mesh size, but no change.

41070100 mesh.JPG41070102 mesh.JPG

• Re: Issue with meshing similar parts
          Robin Dejager

Not sure what the cause was, but some feature that I removed when simplifying for analysis was causing the issue. When I copied the part again but left the features in and supressed, it meshed correctly. Still curious as to what the cause was.

Jared Conway

what version/service pack are you using?

these are sheetmetal parts automatically being converted to shells?

it looks like because of those features or lack of features it was having trouble extracting the mid plane. you could try doing it manually to see if you get the same effect. if that happens, you have answered your question. the cause? i'd pass that to your reseller to dig into a bit further or post the model for others to take a look at.

workaround > create the shells manually.

Robin Dejager

SWX 2010 Preimum 64 bit, SP 5.0. And they are sheetmetal parts, mesh is a mid-shell mesh. I think it is answered for now. I just don't understand how the one part with the features deleted meshes, while the other does not. Oh well, I will passs it along to the reseller I suppose. Not sure if I can post models due to IP rights or not, I will have to ask about that.

Jared Conway

could also be version/service pack related. mid-plane shells no longer exist, they are automatically extracted from the sheetmetal parts. if it works without certain features it is probably just that those features are causing the mid plane offset to fail. (you can test this manually and likely if this fails in 2010, would also fail in 2014) with that confirmed, you have to look at those specific features to see if it makes sense at why it is failing. could be rebuild issues, could be offset surface issues...etc. but again, using the inside or outside face should work.