3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 9:28 AM by John Burrill

Import vedio into solid works

Suresh Kumar Radhakrishnan

Hi,

Is it possible to import vedio into solidworks and get measurements. Normally, we are importing the photos (JPEG files) into Autocad and solidworks by overlay method and scale to the actual size and using that for existing detail conversion. By the same way, is it possible in vedio. Moreover, we are getting  the animation file from the model in solidworks. So, is it possible vice versa, from vedio to model. We are asking this only for measurement purpose and superimpose to check any mismatch.

Suresh

• Re: Import vedio into solid works
          Deepak Gupta

No but you can save picture from the video and insert them into SW.

• Re: Import vedio into solid works
            John Burrill

I haven't heard of anyone attempting to reverse engineer a model from a video specifically-not in engineering, anyway.

The short answer to your question is , no, SolidWorks doesn't have the ability to display movies in its editor.

Normally I'd echo what Deepak said, open the video in MovieMaker or a similar product, shuttle to the frames you want to use for your measurements, create still images of those frames (Movie Maker can do that) and then insert those still images into SolidWorks as sketch pictures that you can use to trace your sketches.

But, I'm curious about what you're trying to do, so I'm going to guess at a solution for you to investigate:

Download and install Blender  (blender.org)

Use the camera matching interface to create an animated camera that tracks the subject of the video.

Now activate that camera in the 3D viewport and set the viewport background to display your video.

You know have a camera matching studio.  You can use the sculpting tools in blender to to trace and match the subject of your video.  The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to constantly reset your view to match the current frame.  You can just shuttle the time index using ALT+mousewheel and the view will automatically change to match the current frame of the video so that you can add or modify detail as needed.

The model you produce using this method will be a mesh, so if you want something manufacturable, you'll need to bring it into SolidWorks and convert it manually or with the 3d scanner add-in.

This dovetails right back into what you were talking about, producing a video from SolidWorks that can be rotoscoped back into the original video.  After you've created your solidWorks model from the Blender mesh, you export it back to blender (STL or VRML) and replace the mesh model.  After adding materials and lights to it, you can then render the camera animation to produce a sequence of your new design.  You can then mask and merge the two video sequences in the Video Sequence Editor included with Blender.  If the redesigned model's silhouette is close enough to the originals, then you'll be able to render a new video with the new stock superimposed over the old.

Now this is crazy.  I'm guessing you've never heard of Blender or camera matching or rotoscoping or any of that.  I'm also guessing that you haven't considered that compression artifacts, motion blur and lens distortion are going to make measurements you get from those video frames woefully imprecise.  I hope you're not reverse engineering an arterial stint using this technique-is all I'm saying.  Finally, I'm guessing you don't have tons of experience with SolidWorks.   So putting it all together, you'd have a monumental learning task ahead of you, trying to figure out how the tools in Blender work and if you can adapt them to your purpose and I wouldn't go this far out on a limb unless I was desperate and really had nothing besides a video to work with.

That being the case, maybe you're one of those people that can take an idea and turn it into something, and I generally advocate for finding unconventional ways of doing things.

Now, if my guess is wrong, why don't you tell us a little bit more about what you're trying to accomplish?