5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 1:18 PM by Jared Conway

Steps before simulating

Bo DO

Dear,

I am designing this machine. I have some questions to ask you:

1. Could I simulate the whole machine ?. If not, then:

2. Which joints could I separate the whole machine into parts or sub-assembly?

3. How to add reaction forces when separating parts apart ? I need to calculate them to add to separated parts ?

Thank you.

m3.PNG

m1.PNGm2.PNG

• Re: Steps before simulating
          Jared Conway

1. what type of analysis? static? sure that can be done

2. better question, what parts of it are you concerned with? why don't you want to analyze the whole structure? you could go down to the individual part if you have a good idea of what the loads are on the individual components.

3. yep. you'd use your standard statics to figure out how the forces are carried between components

Bo DO

Thank you for replying.

1. Of course it is static analysis.

2. I really want to analyze the whole structure. The nearly complete machine has more parts than what I shown (I'm designing ). It's hard for me-a beginner in simulation with SolidWorks- to do the work. So I decided to do the easy one first, that is to separate parts.
              The problem is: parts link to each other via joints, right? when separating them apart, I need to calculate force beacause of disassembly, is that right?

Part I want to analyze are maked like in the second picture.

My machine I'm designning looks like this:

m5.PNGm4.PNG

Jared Conway

The problem is: parts link to each other via joints, right? when separating them apart, I need to calculate force beacause of disassembly, is that right?

>> joints is for beams analysis. don't worry about that word. if you're performing analysis on the individual parts you need to look at the general loading condition that exists and then how it transfers to the parts. this is standard statics and doesn't have anything to do with solidworks simulation. once you have the loads. you can apply them at a part level analysis. sometimes this can be challenging which is why people run analyses of larger assemblies.

but for someone that is new to simulation, pick a couple of parts that are critical, that you know the loading for and run the analysis. and build outwards from there.

Bo DO

I have tried to analyze the whole, but I got some errors about meshing. I have been searching over the internet for a tutorial on assembly simulation. What I got was part simulation mostly, few are 2 parts assembly: one part is fixed, another is forced and link to the fixed one via bolts.

So do you have any good tutorial on assembly simulation?

Jared Conway

have you checked inside the software? there should be some tutorials for assembly analysis. also i think i saw some books on amazon and google lately.

the best training probably comes from a var like us at hawk ridge systems. we offer both classroom training and one-on-one training for projects like yours.