10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 10:40 AM by Jim Wilkinson

Orienting a view using two planes

Sid Humphreys

I have created a ref plane at an angle to another plane and thru an axis to be able to orient to the view I want to show in my dwg.  problem is, I cannot orient with these two planes.  how do you orient a view using two planes?  Why can it not be as simple to say...."this plane go back and this plane go up"?

Any help would be most welcome

Thanks

Sid

• Re: Orienting a view using two planes
          Deepak Gupta

Select the plane/face you want to keep front and then ctrl select the other plane/face you want to keep on top. Now press/click on Normal to and your view will orient to that.

Glenn Schroeder

Deepak,

For me that only works for body surfaces, not planes.

Sid Humphreys

This sequence is not working.  I want one plane to face the screen while making the other plane face up or down.  They are orthgonal to each other sir.  Plus the first plane I want to have face the screen has two sides.  Correct?  So the view can be 180 degrees from where I want it in your instructions.  Can I not just say tell SW to take this side of this plane and go this way and take this side of this plane and go that way?

This should be a slam dunk and I am playing games here trying to orient a view here for 30 minutes.

No disrespect sir.  But this is very frustrating.

Glenn Schroeder

As I said above, the method Deepak detailed only works for surfaces (at least for me).  You can click on the plane you want normal to your screen, hit the Normal To button, then right-click, choose Zoom, Pan, Rotate > Roll View.  Then you can rotate the view 15° at a time by holding down Alt and using the right or left arrow keys until it's where you want.

Jim Wilkinson

As discussed in this thread started by Sid a while ago, Normal To does not work with two planes, it only works with faces.

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/66647

If you want support for planes, it will have to be submitted as an enhancement request.

For view creation in drawings, you can try using the Relative to Model view from the drawing itself (switching back to the part to define the planes and their orientations). I believe it works for reference planes as well as faces:

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/English/solidworks/sldworks/c_relative_to_model_view.htm

Thanks,

Jim

Sid Humphreys

Jim,

I appreciate the tip on the "relative to model" view creation.  That was descent and easy.  Why in the world would they NOT propogate that ease to the modeling side?  That makes no sense to me to NOT be able to use the planes in this fashion.  Thats where we spend most of our time on the modeling side.  On top of that I have to submit an enhancement request?  Where does that enhancement request end up?  In some que of someones "honey do list"?  What is the protocol of the "enhancement request"?  How long does it take to get the change implemented?  Does the request go in front of some grand SW board of request grantors?  Not trying to come off as a pain but I think the software is missing the boat here.

Sid

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Sid,

We implement enhancements to the software based on popularity of specific enhancement requests. You enter enhancement requests in the customer portal (login here:http://www.solidworks.com/sw/customerportal.html). You can first search to see if a request already exists, and if so, add the details of why you need it and "vote" for it. If it doesn't exist, you can enter a new request. If you do that, I would recommend that once you get the SPR for it, reply to this thread to let everyone know the SPR# and description so if they are interested in the functionality, they can also vote for it.

I did a couple of quick searches in the enhancement requests using "view planes" and "relative model" as the search strings and I couldn't find a request to implement the specific functionality you are asking for. I did find the following one which relates to being able to using two planes for the Normal To command so it can use the second plane as up (as discussed in this and the other thread):

SPR 660407: Improve ' normal to ' view orientation command to allow reference planes, linear edges, sketch lines, axes, an axis , etc to define the vertical or up direction

The reason we don't have the functionality you mentioning is because we haven't had requests for it. I don't recall others asking for this functionality in the many years of monitoring the forums or talking to users directly on customer visits, phone calls, etc. I am guessing most users don't require exact positioning to this level of detail or are either happy with the current positioning tools or would be happy with the solution suggested in SPR 660407.

But, as noted, certainly submit it as you feel strongly it is important and let others know about the SPR once have it.

Thanks,

Jim

Sid Humphreys

Sir,

When picking the plane that I want to face the screen first as you instruct, and then the second plane I want to go up, then rt clk and choose notmal to, Sw takes my plane that I wanted to face the screen and makes IT normal to the screen and totally ignores my pick that I wanted to go up or down.  Plus, how does SW know which side of the plane I want to go up or down?